City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee, has really made world headline news now. Sources claim he will be charged on Wednesday with ’conspiracy to commit criminal breach of trust.’ What’s all that mean? …just what it seems to always mean; “Caught with his hand in the cookie jar!” …to the tune of about 18 million U.S. dollars!
Dr. Jim West of Zwinglius Redivivus, says of this, “23,000 deceived sheep fleeced by another wolf in shepherd’s clothing. How long is it going to take real Christians to realize that these mega-churches are breeding grounds for deceptive lying false prophets who lap up the mob’s adoration and laugh at the foolish flock all the way to the bank?”
While Dr. Jim rarely pulls punches (does he ever?), we must remember that Jesus first warned us of these wolves in sheep’s clothing and gave us ample means of identifying them… “you’ll know them by their fruit” (Matthew 7:15).
Ask yourself this: Would funding a spouse’s music career with congregational offerings meant to further the gospel be considered a good fruit or a bad fruit?
Dr. Jim, in a following post, quotes Zwingli, “Behold the grandeur of the Christian shepherd! He feeds the flock with painstaking watchfulness; does not use constraint except so far as the word itself constrains; looks not at profit, but does all things of a ready mind, i.e., with faith and love of God; claims no lordship for himself, but aims at this one thing, to be a blameless example to the flock.”
A simple concluding question might be to ask, “Why are you attending the church you now attend?” Is it because of the programs offered… or because your fellow members love Jesus? Are you serving faithfully with a body of believers who hate nothing but sin, and love the Lord their God with their everything (Wesley)? If not… watch your wallet. You may be funding the next contestant on a reality show.
- Total Depravity: The Singapore Mega-Church ‘Pastor’ Fraud Edition (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- WEST defines a Mega Church finally! (atwistedcrownofthorns.com)
- 5 arrested for misuse of City Harvest Church building fund (todayonline.com)
- Mega Church Leader Recants Methods – New Survey Shows Spiritual Stagnation According to The Casual Christian (prweb.com)
- Singapore Church Founder Arrested in Fraud Case (abcnews.go.com)
- The Church Club: a born-again Christian Jew seeks relationship in a mega church (marshasusantracy.wordpress.com)