Here I am licking the wounds from a good thrashing by the bats and gloves of the San Francisco Giants (outscored 20 – 1 in the final three games?). Finally deciding to go back out in public… as in my blog site, and what do I find?
We’ve been tagged! Oh, you know this means I am so it. (Way to go me!) One moment I’m tearing the St. Louis bumper stickers off of my van and the next I’m basking in the glory of being recognized in the world coveted Blogathon! (woo hoo – that’s Greek for woo hoo! …just ask cc).
As most are aware, we don’t participate in many of these blog-land award ceremonies, but hey… it was Jeff over at Reveling in the Overflowing Grace of God who sent this nod our way.
We had to jump in somewhat, after all, his blog is one of our first we followed way back when we started (yeah I know… a whole year ago) blogging. What better way then to recognize Jeff and show our appreciation than to remember some words I spoke of him a while back… that are even truer today.
“On extremely rare occasions, God gives us the privilege of meeting a person who personifies His grace before the world. While I have not met the author of this site in person, I assure you, he can be defined this way. One of my first regular ‘reads’ at WordPress was Jeff’s blogs over at Reveling in the Overflowing Grace of God. I travel there daily to feast on a personal study of God’s Word. On June 30th of 2011, Jeff hit the heights with a post titled, “The Greatest of These is Love.” What makes this man and the whole Bickley house so special? Is it his zeal for vintage music? His passion for baseball (Go Cards! – sorry, Jeff, couldn’t help it [2011 was obviously different than 2012 for the Cardinals])? Actually, it’s the fact that he doesn’t just keep the curtains open on the windows of the house of his faith. He’s torn down every covering and shade and burnt them in the backyard. If you want to fellowship with a man who is simply growing in the grace of our Lord and Savior… then quit staring at these words and click his link.”
I’m told the rules go something like this…
1. Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
2. They must also answer the 11 questions the “tagger” has set for them.
3. They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
4. They must then choose 11 bloggers and tag them in their post.
5. These “lucky” bloggers must then be told.
6. No tag backs.
I also like the disclaimer, ”The rules (which are not obligatory, by any stretch of the imagination…in other words, please don’t feel obligated to do this if you have been tagged here),” that is followed soon enough by, “…should they choose to participate. I will in no way be offended or disappointed should they choose not to. Flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz will, however swoop down on them when they least expect it.”
What is it that our friend Jeff has posed for us to answer? Feast your eyes on these questions and sit back and enjoy the rapid-fire method of Resting in His Grace’s response.
1. What inspired you to begin blogging?
2. What one thing do you wish you could change about the world?
3. How would you spend your last day on earth?
4. What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?
5. What is the thing that you admire most in people?
6. What is the purpose of your blog?
7. What do you like about you?
8. What genre do you most like to read?
9. Who is your favorite author?
10. What is your favorite book?
11. A genie has just popped out of a lamp that you rubbed. He has granted you three wishes. What do you wish for?
(1) Boredom, (2) worldliness, (3) sharing the Gospel (that’s kind of convicting, because it may very well be my last day), (4) my wife, (5) sacrificial charity, (6) God’s glory, (7) whatever attracted my wife, (8) historical, (9) D A Carson, (10) the Bible (okay, okay… anything by D A Carson, Philip Mauro, and R C Sproul), (11) the end of world hunger, abortion made illegal, the Boyd’s, Wiebe’s, and all other missionaries to be in their places of calling.
Eleven things about me?
1. I love to read. I’m like the guy in the old Twilight Zone show… but please don’t break my glasses!
2. I’m married to an animaholic. Unfortunately, there are no five, ten, or twenty step programs for this addiction. If you wondered why there are so many typos here, it’s because I can’t keep the squirrel off the keyboard.
3. Pot Pie stays in trouble and is very confused because of me. He doesn’t understand why he’s only allowed to sit on the couch when his mother isn’t in the room.
I think she’s catching on to me (hidden intentionally… don’t tell TC)
4. I dislike flying monkeys, reality programs, and golf, however…
5. I very much like jelly beans, rice crispy treats, and Angry Birds.
6. I used to like the St. Louis Cardinals (alright already… I’ll like them again come spring).
7. My wife and I have been married long enough that we no longer have to communicate vocally… we can hold hour-long conversations with facial expressions.
8. I really don’t care for super long blog posts (this one’s starting to irritate me). A special heart felt thanks to Jeff and the person who tagged him at this site, Aurora Morealist.
9. I’m (note: acknowledgment of my wife’s displeasure with number nine… see the expression on her face?) ready to be a grandparent, but our son isn’t cooperating. (owww honey… that hurt!)
10. I’m most convicted by all those verses of Scripture that describe Jesus’ disciples as someone who looks very little like me.
11. I’ve never been fond of the number eleven until today (and now I never want to see it again).
Moving on. Here are my nominees to take the torch and run…
No pressure, but should you decline, beware of the monkeys… Here they are.
3. Lyn Leahz
5. Wayne Augden
8. Literary Lew
10. Lady Deidre
11. Domini Canes
Questions: (1) Will you send me some jelly beans? (2) Why is Clint Eastwood your favorite actor? (3) How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? (4) Who shot J.R.? (5) Will you send me some jelly beans? (6) Have zombies run their course and can we move on to another monster? (7) Would you make room for Pot Pie should his mother catch him on the couch again? (8) Would you support a boycott of golf, reality shows, and flying monkeys? (9) Will you send me some jelly beans? (10) What’s your preferred method of removing bumper stickers? (11) Did you actually read this ridiculous post? Why?
- What is a Blogathon? You might well ask…lol (auroramorealist.wordpress.com)