Knowing

Nicholas Cage never dreamed he’d make his presence known on my blog. Probably because he’s never heard of me, or my blog. That’s okay, I still appreciate his skills as an actor.

Because I like his ability to act on the big screen, I’m hoping he doesn’t take it personal that I stole the title of one of his films to write this blog.

Actually, this post is more interested in providing evidences from the pages of the Bible for ‘knowing’ where we stand with God. How do we ‘know’ we’ve experienced the ‘new birth’ in Christ Jesus. Surely something of this magnitude and eternal importance comes with some guarantee.

Rest assured, it does. John penned his first letter to believers with exactly this purpose… to give them assurance in their faith. He wrote this letter so they could rest in the promises of God (1 John 5:13).

But these words are sometimes harsh. Especially when we begin to weigh them against our own lives. So, without further ado, prepare for the Holy Spirit’s exam.

John says those who are truly the children of God will:

… Recognize their sin, confess, and repent (1:8-10)

… Love God and keep His commandments (2:3-6),

… Love others (2:7-17) (3:11-18) (4:7-12), [by the way, this isn’t simply saying, ‘I love you,’ it’s sacrificial giving to meet needs, just as ‘For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son’…]

… not love the world and the things of the world (2:15-17),

… overcome the world (5:4-5).

Notice what’s not in John’s list? He doesn’t mention a visible morality, intellectual knowledge, or even religious involvement. John doesn’t offer an emotional reaction to a sermon, walking an aisle, signing a card, or being dipped in a pool of water. While all of these may be positive reactions to Jesus’ call on our lives, none of them make John’s list of evidences of true faith.

As a matter of fact, everything John teaches about the security of salvation, along with Paul, Peter, James, and most importantly, Jesus, is written in the perfect tense. They are saying, don’t look to the past, look at the current evidence… right now! Are you living for Jesus right now? If not, Paul says, “Examine yourselves, to see whether you are of the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5).”

(Our pastor is currently working through the first letter written by John in the Sunday morning services. So not only have I stolen a title from Nicholas Cage, but also pieces from my pastor’s sermons. Guess I better re-read my post… ouch!)

This entry was posted in WordPosts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Knowing

1. Thanks for the post . I’m sorry but you followed the old inactive site. here my updated one. http://acordof3strands.wordpress.com/ Thanks lot bro!

2. lambskinny says:

M.T. – thanks so very much. Amen! Loving as Jesus loves — wow! Tough one! Oh, to always have His heart for others! Blessings, Carley

3. April says:

I appreciated your post. Well said! Ironically, our scripture lesson this past week in worship was from 1John…we honored the saints who have gone before us and our pastor spoke about the importance of passing on our faith to the next generations.
    Blessings to you this week.
    April

4. I actually have this movie Mike – lol. I often wonder what it would be like to see 2 minutes into the future. Anyway, I am told that the words “by this we know are mentioned over 40 times in the book of 1 John alone! Great post my friend.

• freedomborn says:

Just a thought Mike as I ponder on your message again, all Scripture, all Truth, all our being in Christ Jesus is evidenced by Love but not worldly Love God’s Love which is eternal … How do we have God’s Love we ask for it, we receive it and we walk in it by His empowering and we do so with thankfulness, all the fruit of the Spirit are packaged in Love.

Galatians 5 22 -26 But the fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Christian Love Anne

I agree wholeheartedly Anne. The Bible leaves no doubt that all the law and the entire counsel of God are summed up in one word, love. If we could get that one right, we’d be home free. Unfortunately, as you stated, there is much confusion about this little word, love. God uses the word, love, as a verb… an active response to the needs of others. Simply saying, “I love you” never meets the requirements nor the standard. Love is seen perfectly demonstrated by Jesus, He gave Himself entirely for His. And we are called to do the same. Thanks Anne, and God bless.

Amen, friend. John wanted to ensure all believers were secure in their faith. God bless. 40 times, I’m impressed! Great note!

5. freedomborn says:

Great message Mike and one to ponder on and take to heart- Christian Love Anne.