Second Chances by Max Lucado

“It was small enough to overlook. Only two words. I know I’d read that passage a hundred times. But I’d never seen it.”

“But I won’t miss it again. It’s highlighted in yellow and underlined in red. You might want to do the same. Look in Mark, chapter 16. Get your pencil ready and enjoy this jewel in the seventh verse (here it comes). The verse reads like this: “But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee.”

“Did you see it? Read it again. (This time I italicized the words.)”

“But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee.”

“Now tell me if that’s not a hidden treasure.”

“If I might paraphrase the words, “Don’t stay here, go tell the disciples,” a pause, then a smile, “and especially tell Peter, that he is going before you to Galilee.”

“What a line. It’s as if all of heaven had watched Peter fall—and it’s as if all of heaven wanted to help him back up again. “Be sure and tell Peter that he’s not left out. Tell him that one failure doesn’t make a flop.”

“Whew!”

“No wonder they call it the gospel of the second chance.”

“Those who know these types of things say that the Gospel of Mark is really the transcribed notes and dictated thoughts of Peter. If this is true, then it was Peter himself who included these two words! And if these really are his words, I can’t help but imagine that the old fisherman had to brush away a tear and swallow a lump when he got to this point in the story.”

“It’s not every day that you get a second chance. Peter must have known that. The next time he saw Jesus, he got so excited that he barely got his britches on before he jumped into the cold water of the Sea of Galilee. It was also enough, so they say, to cause this backwoods Galilean to carry the gospel of the second chance all the way to Rome where they killed him. If you’ve ever wondered what would cause a man to be willing to be crucified upside down, maybe now you know.”

“It’s not every day that you find someone who will give you a second chance—much less someone who will give you a second chance every day.”

“But in Jesus, Peter found both.  Max Lucado, “No Wonder They Call Him The Savior”

This entry was posted in Lucado and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Second Chances by Max Lucado

1. Freedomborn says:

I have had many, many chances, thank you for reminding me Mike… God never gives up on His Children…He leaves the 99 and seeks His lost sheep, then sets them free.

Christian Love Anne

2. Debbie says:

Mike – For some wonderful but unknown reason, the internet is working tonight and I’ve been encouraged once again by reading your blog.
    The verse could well read, especially Debbie, because I am SO a person of second and third and thirty and three hundred (you get the point) chances. I thank God for always leaving a message, meant especially for me, it’s OK Debbie, especially you Debbie, remember, I’m going before you. 😉
    Nice post Mike, thank you. I’ve missed reading here.

3. Lady Deidre says:

Praise God that was a beautiful post!

God Bless You,
    Dei

4. Michael says:

Great post, Max. !!!

• Freedomborn says:

Mike before you delete my posts again, I don’t care who they are regardless of their Title, Popularity or position and this includes the Pope or the Queen, if they say anything that is not confirmed in the Bible I reject it and I correct , rebuke and warn as God asks us to. I’m willing to confirm everything I share with undeniable Scriptural evidence if you ask with a open heart and mind I will provide it for you and also share why it is nothing to fear but to be very thankful for and to joyful about.

Christian Love Anne

5. Freedomborn says:

Sorry Mike but I must be True to what God has placed in my heart, to deny His Truth is to deny Him and I Love Him too much to do that and you and the others too.

Christian Love Anne.

6. Freedomborn says:

Hi Mike we need to remember at the time Peter sinned Pentecost hadn’t happened and it was three times that he denied knowing Jesus not just once. Without the Holy Spirit we cannot be Born again of God’s seed or perfected in Love although The Holy Spirit will be working in our life to bring us to heart repentance if we are a Child of God known to Him in His Spirit before we were born and He knew us in the flesh when we were conceived. Freedom in Christ Jesus was only made possible after Jesus’ death and resurrection and the Holy Spirit came to earth . Does God give second chances I believe more then one but when we are Born again we don’t need them, we don’t sin… 1 John 3: 1-11 ( 9.) and there are many more Scriptuers that confirm this Truth..

Christian Love Anne

7. April says:

AMEN! I can’t imagine what life would be like if we didn’t have a God who loves us so dearly, who forgives us, and doesn’t keep score. Second chances are times to learn from our mistake, move on, and absorb God’s wonderful grace!
    Blessings to you this weekend.
    April

8. What an excellent post Mike. You just described the story of my life! Many years ago, I too got a second chance from God. I am not going to blow this one either.