There’s a First Time for…

Attempting to see if I can use this poll feature WordPress offers us (refer to photo above…), I present this little question in relation to a verse from Jesus’ Olivet Discourse.

“For many will come in My name, saying, I am the Christ, and will mislead many.” Matthew 24:5

Was Jesus warning His followers that many would come proclaiming that they (imposters) are the Christ, or, that He (Jesus) is the Christ… and/ but then mislead many?

This entry was posted in Polls and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to There’s a First Time for…

1. My Nelson NKJ Study Bible is the same as what Greg described. All of what Jesus said beginning in verse 4 is in double quotations with only ‘I am the Christ’ in single quotations. This would mean that Jesus is quoting those antichrists that say they are the Christ. The part about decieving many is not included in the single quotes which I take to mean that Jesus is saying that they will claim to be the Messiah and will deceive many.

2. Lady Deidre says:

Never a dull theological post on your blog, Mike!
    I even voted! 🙂

3. writinggomer says:

This is from the NIV…Matthew 24:5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ, ‘ and will deceive many.
    You don’t see it here, but at the beginning of verse 4 there is a ” mark. Then you do not see one until verse 9 which is the beginning of a new paragraph, so this passage is being block quoted, and I am the Christ is in single quotes as the passage is in double quotes.
    For me what lends meaning to verse 5 is verse 4…Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you.
    So Jesus says be careful not to let anyone deceive you, and then goes on to say that many will come claiming to be the Christ, or Messiah, and then will deceive many. This fits hand in hand with John’s warnings of antichrist(s)
    1 John 2:18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.
    Just my thoughts.
    Great post Mike, God bless.

4. Jeff says:

Cool feature! I need to figure out how to use that. Or is it a premium feature?

5. isaiah43123 says:

I just had to click, Hmmm… go ask Karin. 🙂

If we look at Matthew 24:4, Jesus warns us not to be taken in by liars. And, in verse 11 He warns us about the appearance of many who will disguise themselves as Christ’s followers and claim to be obedient to His direction, yet their teaching will lead people away from His Word.

Keep the Faith!
    Karin

6. Good point Mike! I got it right. Those 10 chapters a day are helping I guess.

7. I think if it was many claiming to be the Messiah, “I am the Christ” would have had to been in a double quote. Jesus speaking then quoting what others would have said. I think it is prevalent that many claim Christ, yet lead others astray. That is why it is important we follow the example of Christ by doing and saying only that which the Father does and says! Good poll though!

An excellent point. I’m not sure about other translations, but the KJV does not place it in quotation marks. However, the NASB does. I’ll have to look this evening at various others. If some do and others do not… what to make of that? Interesting. Thanks, friend and God bless.

8. lambskinny says:

Never read this verse in the way I voted — the person claims, Yes Jesus is the Christ and then will mislead them. We see this ALL the time. Blessings, Michael. Carley

Yes, I’m familiar with the traditional stance on this verse, but why the use of the word, ‘many?’ Have there been that many in history who have claimed to be the Messiah, and have those persuaded many to follow? Just thinking in ink… Thanks Carley.