The Criminal Justice System… These Are Their Stories

Call me easily amazed… I’m pretty simple that way.

In the four gospel accounts, I can’t find an example that goes against this principle. “Jesus breaks the proud of heart with the law… and He heals the broken heart with grace.”

To the rich young ruler and the lawyer, He force-fed the Law. The woman at the well… the woman caught in adultery… Zaccheus? …Grace!

To those who had not been stripped of their superficial belief in their own self-righteousness, He relentlessly shoved the law back at them. When the rich young ruler in boast claimed to have kept all these laws from his youth, Jesus simply carried him to another point of the law. It’s as if He said, “That’s really impressive, but how about law number one? You shall have no other gods before Me! Therefore, show Me your wealth is not your god… sell it all and give it to the poor.”

To the woman caught in adultery, Jesus could just as easily have brought a condemning blow, but He didn’t. Why? She was already broken. She realized her guilt before God as an adulteress. Now, grace was available.

I’m thinking this is what Jesus meant when He said, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord.” Luke 4:18-19

Jesus indeed came to heal the sick (me… and you). We really need to recognize how ill we are! Do you need the law today… or His Grace?

This entry was posted in WordPosts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Criminal Justice System… These Are Their Stories

1. Rick Alvey says:

Great post and great insight! I think we tend to gravitate towards one or the other but the goal is to live them both out in balance as Jesus did. Thanks!

2. I need both. I need to be convicted and challenged. I need His grace because without it I am helpless and condemned.

3. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble!

4. writinggomer says:

The law is always there to remind us of whats what. Grace is apportioned as we need it. Thank you Jesus!
    Great post Mike. 🙂

5. Jeff says:

I have found myself in need of both, at different times in my life. When I get proud, God shows me where I’ve fallen short. When I’m beating myself up over my own failures, he reminds me of his grace.

6. granbee says:

“proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord.” –we every one have gone astray like sheep and need recovery of spiritual sight, need release from spiritual slavery and oppression.

7. I am always in need of his grace Mike. I am a first class grade A screw up lol. Every time I think I am getting it right, something comes up to show me what a miserable failure I really am. Great Post!

Thanks with much grace and peace. Curiosity is killing me. I’ve tried to figure out what the meaning of your moniker is. Please share. God bless, friend.

8. cc says:

BOTH!! Therefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith… For what the law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did… Oh, how I love your law!
    I meditate on it all day long. Your commands are always with me
    and make me wiser than my enemies. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes… How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth.

Amen, Mrs. C… ‘The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul.’ Ps 19:7

Without the law, we find little need for grace. Just gearing up here for an upcoming lesson. Thanks