Losing My Religion

Getup Get God

Getup Get God (Photo credit: prettywar-stl)

Hey! Hey! Don’t all rush me at once! No, no, I’m not abandoning my faith. Put the pitchforks and torches away… please?!

I’m simply expressing my utter dismay at myself. ‘Utter dismay?” What’s that all about? Anyway… I was listening to the radio on the way home from work yesterday and heard one of the most humbling stories ever presented on the airwaves.

Somewhere in this nation of ours, a dancer from a strip club (I wish I had listened intently enough to know where) passed away. A group of ladies from the local church purchased flowers, visited the club, and expressed their condolences. They also offered to be of any assistance that might be needed.

Guess what? The following Easter service, every single dancer from the club showed up to visit the church and heard the gospel.

What becomes of a story like this? Will they all get saved and worship God the remainder of their days? We don’t know that. That’s God’s responsibility. But the ladies from this church can rest assured they were obedient, they loved unconditionally. The church was obedient… it presented the gospel to whomever God brought before them.

Just a quick thought today… will we be like them? Or do we look more like those who have holed themselves up in man-made monasteries turning up our noses to those Jesus died for… those who are slaves to their sin? Just like we were.

As a good friend once asked, when God places the hurting before us, will we be a sanctuary… or a sermon?

This entry was posted in WordPosts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Losing My Religion

1. arkenaten says:

I was really hoping this post was about the band REM.
    Sigh… Thanks for visiting the Ark’s spot. Strange that you should, considering, but thanks anyway

…that was just a dream… that was just a dream… just a dream, dream… – sorry, couldn’t help it.

Actually, friend, I read a lot of your posts. I just made my presence known on the post you mention due to the “Big Bang Theory” pun (humor, ark ark!). Much thought goes into your writing. Who knows, one day you may use that great gift to write in favor of what you now argue against. Stranger things have happened. Thanks for visiting and blessings on your journey.

2. Scott Sholar says:

Thank you for sharing, and God bless you.

3. Full Tulip says:

Thanks for the responses guys! It’s a blessing to find folks who share the same passion for Christ and spreading the gospel.. in word and in deed!

4. granbee says:

Our Lord taught so well, by word and by deed, that the Physician comes to the sick, not the well. I get accused at least once a week of hanging out with “unsuitable” folk at a local quickstop that has a small area for coffee drinkers. When I was much younger, I was not properly matured and developed in the faith to perform this type of ministry very often. Now, the Lord leads me to do so. Just my presence alone, without me saying a single word (except in silent prayer) about illegal drugs and weapons has stopped that type of traffic at that location. Also, more than one has visited area churches (or returned to a church after many years of absence) who “hangs out” with me. It would seem some of them feel they will not be considered “outcasts” if I myself am accepted in those churches. (tee,hee!)

5. Full Tulip says:

The only problem I have is that the last statement seems unclear and potentially misleading. I understand the point (i think) 100%, in that we should not give someone “cold doctrine” when they need a sanctuary. But their is a BIG difference between speaking the word of life to someone, who is Christ, of whom is revealed in Scripture, and “cold doctrine.” We can’t down play the preaching of the gospel, which is what all people, no matter the circumstance, need to hear, of which is not cold doctrine… So when you say a sanctuary or a sermon? Well, in that the gospel is preached through words and Christ is the only true sanctuary, in that regard that makes the sermon and the sanctuary the same thing in a sense. Thats all i’m saying. I hope it was clear enough to understand. 🙂 Just a thought!

Very true… and yes, very clear. Our every intent should include carrying the gospel forth. I think the primary message from both the radio channel and my good friend (whose quote it is) is “are we carrying the gospel to them?” I can only speak for me, but I can be honest and tell you there are some places that I’ve not chosen to go because of the lifestyles of the occupants. The ladies in the story simply used an opportunity to be gracious and serving in an area that most professing believers would never be found, even though a perfect opportunity was opened for them – – death. Here’s the question… what is the reaction of most Christians regarding people caught in these lifestyles? Whatever answers we could place here… these ladies demonstrated Jesus’ unconditional love. They understood they were once also slaves of sin just as these they ministered to. But yes, you are very correct, to fail to bring the truth is to fail! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. God bless, good friend.

6. Pingback: Losing My Religion | TheBereanWay

7. Thanks for the challenge!
    >> “when God places the hurting before us, will we be a sanctuary… or a sermon?”
    Maybe if we choose the former, He will give us opportunity to be the latter, but if we ignore the hurting, we will be neither.

Amen to that good friend. The sermon is indeed important, but the sanctuary may provide the open pathway. God bless.

8. RJ Dawson says:

This is a great story, and indicative of the actual Gospel in action. Thanks.

The Lord knows our hearts, and He knows those who will respond to His love. I know the Lord loved me before I ever loved or knew Him. He came after me, and you, and all of us, though we were pretty messed up prior to conversion. I wonder if those Christians who would never think of doing what these ladies did are really with God. Doesn’t it follow that the love shown to us will be shown by us?

Love your statement RJ! “…the love shown to us will be shown by us.” Is it possible when we don’t act like these ladies, we’ve neglected to grasp the love shown to us? God bless, good friend.

9. Wonderful post, Mike! This is how we change the world.

Thanks Brother James! You are so right… if the world will be changed, it will be changed by the grace found only in the Cross of Jesus Christ! God bless.

10. Kana Tyler says:

“Sanctuary or Sermon”–SO much to ponder in just three words…

11. cc says:

The grace and mercy I need is no less than the grace and mercy anyone needs. If such a thing as grace exists…then grace was made for lives like ours. Singing with tears in my heart and eyes…

Who here among us has not been broken
    Who here among us is without guilt or pain
    So oft’ abandoned by our transgressions
    If such a thing as grace exists
    Then grace was made for lives like this

There are no strangers
    There are no outcasts
    There are no orphans of God
    So many fallen, but hallelujah
    There are no orphans of God

Come ye unwanted and find affection
    Come all ye weary, come and lay down your head
    Come ye unworthy, you are my brother
    If such a thing as grace exists
    Then grace was made for lives like this

O blessed Father, look down upon us
    We are Your children, we need Your love
    We run before Your throne of mercy
    And seek Your face to rise above
    ~ Avalon

12. Steven Sawyer says:

Great post. You hit the proverbial nail on the head. We’ll all have to decide which road we’ll walk down. The wide road, I’m afraid, will be full of folks who think they know Jesus. “Wide is the road to destruction,” Jesus said, “and many will take it.” The “many” Jesus is talking about is not the lost. It’s the folks you talked about in your post: “those who have holed themselves up in man-made monasteries turning up our noses to those Jesus died for,” you said.

13. Lady Deidre says:

Excellent Post, Mike! We all need hear it!
    God Bless You!

Thanks Deidre! Interestingly, the one who needed to hear it most was the author of the post. Thanks good friend and God bless.

14. Lord help me always be like those beautiful ladies.

15. Great story! Thanks for sharing it.