Jumping to Conclusions… Yeah, I’m Good at That

“Eureka, Pot Pie!,” exclaimed Cracker Jack, “I’ve got it!”

Possum knew this would be one to forget. When his brother Rusty came to the Big Farm, life as Pot Pie knew it… abruptly ended. Trying to pretend he was listening to Cracker Jack Rusty go on about his latest hyper-conclusion, Pot Pie Possum dreamed of days when he drank from his red solo cup… alone.

For several weeks now, our pastor has been working through a series on ‘how to study the Bible’. In each session, he has made a statement explaining how we often miss the message God has for us by jumping the gun. He’s made this statement often because he knows I’m in the audience… so on about the fourth go around it sunk in.

By jumping the gun, he means we dive enthusiastically into the texts with one purpose. ‘How can I apply this to my life?’ “What does this mean to me right now?’

Unfortunately, this type of studying opens the door for a multitude of erroneous conclusions.  Consider this reality: We all read the Bible with presuppositions. Meaning, our minds are made up about many teachings because it’s what we’ve always believed. Our natural tendency is to align what we’re reading with what we believe.

The Bible isn’t meant to be read this way. When we open the pages of Scripture, we are literally hearing God speak. Our first response should be to observe what He is saying. Before we can interpret and apply Scripture, we must hear what has been said. That sounds all too simple, but speaking for myself, I am often guilty of skipping the first and most important step. We should prayerfully come to the Word with the anticipation of a unique experience with every reading. It’s probably a good idea to challenge ourselves to open the Bible each day as though we’d never opened it before. Then we can hear God speak afresh… without the interruptions of our established belief systems.

“What Rusty… What!?! What useless piece of information will you share with me today?”

“I just wanted to let you know that I’ve got it, Possum. I’ve got your red solo cup. You left it at the barn, and knowing how much you like it…”

This entry was posted in PossumPosts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Jumping to Conclusions… Yeah, I’m Good at That

1. granbee says:

The Dear Lord above has the only Red Solo cup we will ever need–but we must “wait upon the Lord” to truly “see it” and to hear how He wishes us to use it at any given point in time. Wonderful post that I needed very much leading into Pentecost Sunday (as a Methodist surrounded by non-denominational Pentecostals in NW Alabama!)

2. Lady Deidre says:

Great picture! It reminded me of the antics at the airport! Oh, the read was good too! 🙂
    God Bless You!

Thanks so much for ackowledging the pic, Deidre! I was really beginning to wonder if it was visible to others. This post started out something entirely different… “Things to do while at the zoo.” In a warped sort of way, when I decided to run with my pastor’s influence, I just left the silly pic in. I couldn’t help but think, that ought to make someone jump to conclusions. 🙂 God bless.

3. One of the many amazing things about reading the Word of God is that, no matter if you’ve read it eleventy-eight times before, God pinpoints something entirely new from those same words when we need it – and when we are open to His voice.

What an amazing God!

4. lambskinny says:

“We should prayerfully come to the Word with the anticipation of a unique experience with every reading.” — amen, Michael. Thanks so much. Carley

5. cc says:

Amen, amen…amen.
    One deep sadness in my life is the many years spent trying to USE the Bible, like it was some sort of spiritual mapquest, gathering information, charting paths, and pondering mileage. Let me make a plan! Ironically, that did not quickly move me along the road of transformation. It is approaching the Word as an expression of God; listening to the heart of the Lord God as He has revealed it in Word, then answering back through prayer and action that has made the living differance. The Word is a doorway to the Author, and I spend too much time contemplating the doorframe.
    Wonderful posts. Your transparency is a blessing.

6. jelillie says:

This is so true. I just found one such presupposition in a class I have been teaching. I have read a certain passage in Genesis a certain way and taught it a certain way all my Christian walk. Now here I am studying through the Greek and finding out that my “exegesis” is all catywhompus! The meaning of the verse has come to light and it’s not what I always thought!

7. Joyce de vivre says:

Short, precise and lovely! Above all, I plead guilty! 😀 As what our pastor often says, “The Bible’s use is not to be interpreted first and foremost, but to be observed, and should be obeyed without further questions” 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

That is an excellent quote, Joyce! It seems that maybe we should be paying a little more attention to our pastors! 🙂 Thanks good friend and God bless.