Who Are We… that You would be mindful of us?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1932)

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1932) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Who am I? This or the other? Am I one person today and tomorrow another? Am I both at once? A hypocrite before others, And before myself a contemptibly woebegone weakling? Or is something within me still like a beaten army, Fleeing in disorder from a victory already achieved? Who am I? They mock me these lonely questions of mine. Whoever I am,  Thou knowest O God, I am Thine! ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Theologian, Martyr, Writer. Excerpt from Who Am I? March 4, 1946

Exploring our identity is considered by philosophers to be one of the basic tasks of life.  Moses went from questioning the identity of The Speaker From The Fire to questioning his own identity.  “Thank you for telling me how to identify you…but how do I identify me?”

“Who am I?”

“Am I my past failures?”

“Is my testimony believable?”

“Can I be a leader?”

“What if I say the wrong thing?”

“What if I talk the wrong way?”

Moses heard the call but he doubted the call, and he even debated the call.  He couldn’t take the first steps in obeying the call until he trusted the Lord’s point of view. The way God saw him had to supersede the way he saw himself. When I see myself the way the Lord does, my questions can be turned into declarations of faith. I must settle the questions, “Can I trust the Lord’s point of view”, “Can I believe what He says about me?”

Who am I? Whoever I am, Thou knowest O God, I am Thine.

Blessings To You Who Meander After Moses With Me,     CeeCee

(Part 6 from the series, “Meandering with Moses”)

About ccragamuffin

Christina C. is a woman energized by encouraging others. She never wants to forget that she is a ragamuffin...a broken earthen vessel, heavy laden, bedraggled, and weary until grace changed her life. She now holds a treasure in a cracked earthen vessel. Anything bright or beautiful is the treasure shining through the cracks.
This entry was posted in Meandering with Moses and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Who Are We… that You would be mindful of us?

1. Pingback: Faith Makes Provision | Resting in His Grace

2. Pingback: It’s In the Fine Print | Resting in His Grace

3. Pingback: A Man Wrapped Up In Himself Makes A Very Small Bundle | Resting in His Grace

4. Pingback: It’s Hard to See Past What I See | Resting in His Grace

5. Pingback: COULD YOU JUST GIVE ME A SIGN? | Resting in His Grace

6. mtsweat says:

A really make-me-think work, Cee Cee! Of course, you’re always off on a good start when using Bonhoeffer quotes… one I love to read from and about. So true here… if we only bring ourselves to trust and believe who God is, what He is doing through the finished work of His Son, and not to miss… how He sees us, we can confidently walk on the path He prepares. I’ve come back and read this post several times now… good stuff.

7. Lady Deidre says:

Great post! I had Holy Ghost chills sail over me!
    God Bless You!

8. Wayne Augden says:

Great post. Who of us hasn’t seen a little of Moses in ourselves at some point?

9. Lyn Leahz says:

I nominated you for this award because your website truly blesses myself, and so many others…and for all of your wonderful support in coming to mine and leaving your likes and comments. Thank you! http://lynleahz.com/2012/06/29/reader-appreciation-award/

10. Rob Barkman says:

We can see Moses doubting himself when he was firdt called of God. It was because of this questioning of his abilities that Aaron was then chosen to be along Moses. What a blessing it is for each of us to understand that winthin ourselves dwells no good thing. If we are to accomplish anything for the Lord it muct be through His gracious intervention and equipping of our lives.

Great posting… Lord bless.

• ccragamuffin says:

Yes, it is very interesting the role that Aaron plays. Aaron is already on his way to Moses when the Lord’s rage burned against Moses’ reluctance. Maybe Aaron was suppose to be a quiet helper? Aaron turns out to be an irresolute and troublesome leader. Thank you for pointing out his part in this…it reminds me that there is a warning if we do not grab hold of the Lord’s grace enablement. Blessings to you. cc.

11. isaiah43123 says:

I believe Moses doubted and debated, but did he doubt himself or the call? The more important question is, who can we trust and believe if not God? Yet…
    Keep the Faith!

• ccragamuffin says:

Thank you for posting these excellent questions for us to consider. Is doubing myself equal to doubting the call? If I believe The Caller, must I then believe that He knows who He calls and why He is calling? In my life, the times that I doubted the call were intimately intertwined with doubting myself. Do you find that so? Blessings to you. cc.

• isaiah43123 says:

ccragamuffin, before reading your questions, I would have said my doubt has been more in my abilities, or lack of them, to do what God is asking of me not in what He is asking. However, after more pondering, it is not possible to separate the two. Thanks for the challenge. This is what I love about the blogging community.
        Keep the Faith!