COULD YOU JUST GIVE ME A SIGN?

Meandering.  I cannot say that I am faithfully following, because I am not close behind, not faithfully placing my feet in the steps of this servant, Moses.  Meandering seems more…me.  Wobbling somewhat back and forth.  Going off to check first this thing out, then that.  Meandering is slow.  I am slow.  Meandering is wobbly.  I am wobbly.  Meandering must be brought back again, and again, to the path.  Yes, that is me.

My brain is trained to think that signs help the journey.  Besides meandering mentally, I am also prone to geographic meandering due to being directionally challenged.   I love signs because they tell me not only where I am going, and where to turn…but often where I am!  Interestingly, sign dependency does not make me a better traveler.  It makes me a better sign watcher.

Our meanderings in Exodus find the Israelites seeing the signs of Moses and believing (4:29-31) but as soon as life gets a little more difficult they condemn Moses and Aaron (5:19-21).  The Lord warns Moses ahead of time that even though there will be multiple signs and wonders done in Egypt, Pharaoh will not listen (7:3).  And lest we think it is just those strange Egyptians who do not learn anything from repeated signs and wonders…the Israelite family is found faithless at the first barrier on their journey and they are ready to make a u-turn at the Red Sea (14:10-12).

The story of Moses that I am gleaning from already hints that signs do not automatically build the kind of faith that follows…faithfully. Do signs and wonders produce pilgrims with a long obedience in the same direction?  When do the Israelites learn that “I Am” alone is deliverance?  Wait, what about me?  I am meandering after Moses, to learn how about this great faith of walking by faith not by sight. This paradigm concerning the limits of what signs and wonders can accomplish in the heart is something I need to pack for the journey.

If I cry out, “Could you just give me a sign?!?”…is that a sign…a sign that I am still directionally challenged?

Blessings To You Who Meander After Moses With Me,

CeeCee

About ccragamuffin

Christina C. is a woman energized by encouraging others. She never wants to forget that she is a ragamuffin...a broken earthen vessel, heavy laden, bedraggled, and weary until grace changed her life. She now holds a treasure in a cracked earthen vessel. Anything bright or beautiful is the treasure shining through the cracks.
This entry was posted in Meandering with Moses and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to COULD YOU JUST GIVE ME A SIGN?

1. Pingback: God Heals. « ariseandshineservices

2. Pingback: A Hopeless End…or…An Endless Hope | Resting in His Grace

3. Pingback: Faith Makes Provision | Resting in His Grace

4. Pingback: Making the Lord Our Banner | YOU DECIDE

5. Pingback: It’s In the Fine Print | Resting in His Grace

6. Pingback: A Man Wrapped Up In Himself Makes A Very Small Bundle | Resting in His Grace

7. Rob Barkman says:

The Word has been given to direct us and to instruct us as we live our lives on earth. It is said to “thoroughly furnish us” which helps us to understand we need nothing but His Word with the Spirit’s application to serve Him. Now that we have the completed Word, what then is the role of signs in today’s time? It is a question we all must ask ourselves… Perhaps, there is really no place for signs in todays age. We have the completed Word what more do we need?

• ccragamuffin says:

These are very good questions to consider. They remind me of Jesus’ statement that it is a pain-ridden and adultress generation that seeks a sign. Ouch, that is a two-edged sword! You and I do have The Word Incarnate and the Word written, both complete. So I wonder if the reason we hear about signs occuring in unreached people groups is because they do not yet have these riches? Thank you for leading us to these thoughts. Blessings.

8. Pingback: It’s Hard to See Past What I See | Resting in His Grace

9. Pingback: Your Pay Day Will Come « bummyla

10. Just to let you know my url has changed to kingdomofgodservantv4.wordpress.com

11. ccragamuffin says:

“but I need Him more”…yes, this is our great need…Him. “I need Him more” Thank you for these word blessings.

12. KingdomofGodservantv4 says:

8 Now when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceedingly glad; for he had desired for a long time to see Him, because he had heard many things about Him, and he hoped to see some miracle done by Him. Luke 23:8 – Just read that today. Must be the same Spirit. This was when He was being questioned.

• ccragamuffin says:

Very interesting cross reference. Thank you for directing us to it. This example from Herod is something to ponder…what was Herod looking for and why? I’m so glad you responded. Blessings.

• KingdomofGodservantv4 says:

I don’t know if He wanted to see some kind of spectacular amazing thing for entertainment, but as I ponder this, don’t we all come to Jesus that way saying – of I were to meet You, the first thing I would do would be to ask You to heal me completely and totally and set me free from sickness, do a creative miracle, instead of Jesus wrapping our arms around Him and saying, I’m in pain, but I’m so glad to see because I love You. Yes healing and miracles are good, but He wanted people to believe in Him, sadly myself, I am prone to desiring for miracles, but I need Him more.

13. Labeth says:

In my own “meanderings” I have found the the Lord is so ever-faithful to provide me with signs and little “wonders” at the very point of my need. Those …interventions have been sustaining for me!! But I have been really saddened to see myself quickly turn on Him when things go wrong. In spite of all the signs He has given me personally in my difficulties, I turn on Him without blinking twice. I’m sure it saddens Him much more than it saddens me. He wants my trust, my belief that He IS, and that He is ABLE. He wants Faith without sight. Satisfaction in Him Alone. Sastisfaction in the Relationship itself. But, I am so thankful for the Faith-Markers (like mile-markers on a journey) He has given me personally because it allows me to be able to reflect on His goodness to me, in spite of my faithlessness.

• ccragamuffin says:

Thank you Friend Labeth for giving us a specific, practical way to help turn sign seeking into faith growing. “Mile-markers” on a journey…that’s a great phrase!…and a great way to walk the road. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings.

14. sisterdot56 says:

HI ,WE HAVE MADE IT TOO A NEW MORNDAY ”’BLESS THE LORD;;;;;Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us?

Malachi 2:10

• ccragamuffin says:

Thank you, SisterDot, for giving us the opportunity to “Bless The Lord”. Bless the Lord, o my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name.