Labeling Me a Simpleton… yeah, that’s me

When it comes to Bible study, I’m often intrigued by the simplest of things (that probably makes me simple; guilty as charged). Things that are gathered, digested, and put into play easily by others will often leave me pondering the depths of their shallowness for hours on end. I respond with thoughts like, “How could I have missed that?” …or, “Did someone add this text recently (just kidding, calm down)?”

Such, for me, is the calling and ministry of the Apostle, Peter. Think about this man who was probably Jesus’ closest personal friend during His earthly ministry. He was given privileges not afforded to others. Among many other things, he walked on water, witnessed the Christ’s Transformation, and made the Great Confession. In his humanity, he spoke on Satan’s behalf and denied his Lord… three times.

These things indeed amaze me as they rightfully should, but these are not what I speak of. Spare me your patience to take a moment and look at two verses of Scripture (Mark 1:17; John 21:22).

These verses include Jesus’ first and last words to Peter. On the earlier occasion we find Jesus calling him to leave his vocation of fishing for fish, and on the second His reminding him that he has left his vocation of fishing for fish. In both instances we find the calling to “Follow Me.”

Can the believer’s life be described with any less complexity than that? For those who have placed their faith in His gospel, we are simply called to follow Jesus (stop looking at me like that… I confessed that I am amazed by the simplest things).

But then look at how complicated I can make “the faith given once for all.” Like the church of Galatia, something in me insists there must be more.

Instead, Jesus calls us to simply follow Him. He describes this following as ‘easy and the burden light’ (Matthew 11:30). Empowered by His Holy Spirit, we put one foot down at a time in His prints preserved in His Word… loving, forgiving, serving, giving, submitting… until we too have a lifetime encamped between two encouraging words; “Follow Me.”

This entry was posted in WordPosts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Labeling Me a Simpleton… yeah, that’s me

1. Pingback: Hearing Him Crystal Clear | Resting in His Grace

2. Thanks, MT. Great and simple truth.

3. Rob Barkman says:

MT,

Your posting was a blessing to me, as usual. You are so right we can get so tied up in the motions of worship we can forget our service is really just about following Christ… His teachings, His examples, His directives. How much simpler can it get? Thanks again for the posting. Lord bless you.

4. Lyn Leahz says:

I say number 29…what do you think? Are you feeling herbally medicinal today? LOL! Duh!

5. writinggomer says:

That doesn’t make you simple, in makes you interested in simple things that when looked into…quite often are not so simple! Got all that? Good, then explain it to me! 🙂

• Lyn Leahz says:

Which defines you best? LOL!!!
      sim·ple
         [sim-puhl] Show IPA adjective, sim·pler, sim·plest, noun

adjective
      easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.: a simple matter; simple tools.

not elaborate or artificial; plain: a simple style.

not ornate or luxurious; unadorned: a simple gown.

unaffected; unassuming; modest: a simple manner.

not complicated: a simple design.
      (noun)
      25.
      an ignorant, foolish, or gullible person.

26.
      something simple, unmixed, or uncompounded.

27.
      simples, Textiles . cords for controlling the warp threads in forming the shed on draw-looms.

28.
      a person of humble origins; commoner.

29.
      an herb or other plant used for medicinal purposes: country simples.

6. Lyn Leahz says:

Hey you two; I haven’t heard from you in a while. Hoping you’re doing well! You had asked about my books, and I just posted another excerpt tonight from book two, soul collector if you’re still interested. God bless you both!

7. Lady Deidre says:

I enjoyed the post, Mike.
    God Bless You!

8. There is profudity to the simplicity of the Gospel. So simple a child can understand it. So deep, we can spend a lifetime and never quite get to the bottom of all the treasure that is ours in the Gospel of Christ.

How great the Father’s love for us! Amen!

9. jelillie says:

“Empowered by His Holy Spirit, we put one foot down at a time in His prints preserved in His Word… loving, forgiving, serving, giving, submitting… until we too have a lifetime encamped between two encouraging words;’Follow Me’.” It may be simple but this sentence is truly profound! Thanks!

10. granbee says:

The very simplicity of following Him is what requires constant returning to Him in prayer and study of His Word in spiritual discernment practices.

11. “Follow Me” . . . as you say, such a simple instruction. I could wish it was always as easy to follow. Yes, we KNOW that His way is ALWAYS the best. We KNOW that following Him is really the only way, but sadly the big *I* tends to get in the way.

One day soon, there will be no more “I” and I look forward to worshipping Him with NO distractions. We are one day closer.

We serve a truly amazing God!

12. TikkTok says:

Sometimes, the simplest things are the hardest and most confusing- I think it’s because there’s no loop-hole to wiggle through………