The Boldly Intolerant God of Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Photo credit: Keoki Seu)

There is absolutely no way for me to put into words the onslaught of contributing and relevant messages that have come my way since my re-reading of Bonhoeffer’s ‘Discipleship‘ began a short time ago. It seems every direction I turn and every path I choose presents something relating to this work.

At the forefront of that list is my Pastor’s series on the Minor Prophets. In his message from Hosea chapter two, the culture of the prophet’s day is brought under scrutiny. These people, who were supposed to be the people of God, had blended themselves into the world around them so that no distinction could be made between the two. God’s message to them was one of total rejection for their idolatry and disobedience… their failure to be who God had called them to be. He disowned His people with no remorse!

My Pastor’s presentation of God’s words to these people looks much like those of Dietrich Bonhoeffer to his readers.

As I hear, read, and digest all of these influences coming my direction, a thought occurs that may or may not be relevant to others, but its stinging over my way.

What if Dietrich Bonhoeffer and others like him had simply become tolerant of Hitler’s actions? What if they had just blended in and went about their own business? Would one of Adolf’s grandchildren now be the supreme ruler of the world? Would the Jewish people be extinct?

These are of course just the meanderings of a silly pretend-to-be-writer, but isn’t there an atrocity in our day that has long ago bypassed in significance the tyranny of Hitler’s regime?

The thought that will not leave my conscience alone is “What would Dietrich Bonhoeffer be doing today about the murderous act of abortion?” I have an idea, but it’s a far cry from what I see me doing to stand in protection of the helpless image-bearers of God who will never experience life outside of their mothers’ wombs.

In the eyes of humanity, Bonhoeffer is considered a heroic figure for the stand he took… a stand that cost him his life. When we one day kneel before Jesus, will we proudly display our tolerant and apathetic stance we have taken on the murder of the little children that He insisted we “let come unto Him?”

This entry was posted in Bonhoeffer, WordPosts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Boldly Intolerant God of Dietrich Bonhoeffer

1. rodi says:

excellent and thought provoking!

2. Pingback: The Boldly Intolerant God of Dietrich Bonhoeffer « Christian Activist Pro-Life News

3. wdednh says:

Reblogged this on YOU DECIDE.

4. Pingback: The Choking Burden of Worry « Learning to Be

5. Pingback: The Boldly Intolerant God of Dietrich Bonhoeffer « The Largest Democracy

6. Thank you for your post. Having spent the last 40 years in the pro-life world including running a pregnancy center in downtown Washington DC I affirm that we can never grow weary. Keep up the good work.

7. Sadly, in our society the vocal minority makes the rules, and the vocal minority is usually VERY wrong.

Abortion is murder. It is our privilege to be able to write to our politicians making our views known, and our responsibility to do so. Sadly, not many Christians/Church groups bother . . . but they still complain when politicians listen to the vocal minority. When the majority becomes vocal, these things might be defeated.

Christians need to stand up and be counted.

8. Wayne Augden says:

This is a great article…I think you’re a fine writer…and this piece is something I pray God uses to bless you and many others. Well done, brother.

9. mtsweat says:

That my good friend is a life-altering quote. We as believers should know of all people the spiraling downward effect of sin… we don’t get better. If we insist on remaining silent, Bonhoeffer is very correct, we will wake up one morning to find the liberty and freedom we enjoy gone entirely. The day is coming when standing against the sins of a nation will leave one arrested and prosecuted for treason against atrocities. Lord, build Your Church with people who are willing to die for Your truth. Thank you Olive… blessings

10. “First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Socialists and the Trade Unionists, but I was neither, so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew so I did not speak out. And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me.” -Bonhoeffer

11. mtsweat says:

“Destruction of the embryo in the mother’s womb is a violation of the right to live which God has bestowed upon this nascent life. To raise the question whether we are here concerned already with a human being or not is merely to confuse the issue. The simple fact is that God certainly intended to create a human being and that this nascent human being has been deliberately deprived of his life. And that is nothing but murder.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Ethics

12. Susan Michaels says:

Thank you for bringing this to light. God so clearly asks us to count the cost of following Him. http://bible.cc/luke/14-28.htm. In Canada, while it may sometimes seem the ‘church’ is silent, I am thankful for the bold voice of non-consensus media in Canada and media leaders like Michael Coren and others on the Sun Network who are taking a stand on major issues —including abortion. http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/shows/the-arena.html and also for a group of young Canadians at: http://www.4mycanada.ca/4MYCSite/

Thanks for the links, Susan. Will visit there and see some of what’s happening to stand against this evil. By the way, I should have researched a little more and I would not have to wonder what Bonhoeffer would have done… he addressed abortion in ‘Ethics.’ Blessings, good friend.