Get Off My Lawn

Let me just say… yes, I’m aware that you could care less whose ticket I will punch in November to be our next President. I’m not so vain as to think you do. None the less, I’m going to risk the backlash due me and discuss my selection of a candidate. Bear with me here folks… you may gain some ground in your decision also… or not so much.

Many may exclaim at this point, “Gee-wiz man! There’s only two candidates with any chance of winning the office. How hard can it be to unveil your pick? You either love the one and dislike the other, or you disagree with what one stands for and can tolerate the other, or…”

Yeah, that’s what I mean. It’s just not that simple. I choose to not be affiliated with political parties (I’m a man without a party… and my wife thinks I’ve been the death of the party for a long time), so I can’t make my decision based on donkeys and elephants.

Speaking of parties; don’t forget to tell me happy birthday! I turned twenty-two today… which means camarones a la planca at the ranch tonight. Did you hear me honey? <t w e n t y – t w o   c a n d l e s… a d d   s h r i m p>

Where were we? Oh yeah… a president. A good place for me to start in determining who to vote for is an examination of each candidate’s credentials. This can be done by simply turning on the news or picking up a newspaper, right? Surely one need not fear a biased report from our media…

“If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.”      — Mark Twain

Giving up on that one, maybe we can learn a little of them from their own personal messages. You know, like who pinched the little red-headed girl in kindergarten, or picked on a kid in high school, or studied about socialism in college. Hey! Maybe we could find out who didn’t pay their taxes… nah, it’s becoming obvious that’s an all-inclusive description of everyone in Washington.

Of course there is one panel of discussion that we hear about often… health care. For the umpteenth year in a row, mine went up again… how about yours?  So the price  goes up without a healthcare plan in place and it goes up with a healthcare plan in place. This marvelous bill that we had to pass so we could find out what was in it… gave us, well… exactly what we had: higher premiums! Woo Hoo! But then, if we want to argue that the Blues gave us this masterpiece, the rebuttal could be made that the Reds have insisted on someone who passed a similar plan in the state he governed. Did I mention “Woo Hoo? (I’m told that’s Greek)”

By now, someone has to be wondering “why the title and picture of Clint Eastwood?” Go ahead and make my day admit it: you’ve mentally accused me of being the worst creator of titles in WordPress history and assuming I accidentally loaded a picture that has absolutely nothing to do with this post. (You’re probably right on both counts, but…)

The truth is (truth in a blog about politicians?), I’ll have a hard time not voting for Mitt Romney now. Why? Because Clint Eastwood has endorsed him. Yikes! I’ve now denigrated the United States election process into something as silly as making decisions based upon the choices of my hero from the silver screen… the one my son is named after (he’s in his early twenties, and I’m celebrating my… uh oh).

Okay Mr. Romney, I would merely be going with my gut here… and Rowdy Yates, Philo Beddoe, and a man with no name, but I would feel a little more confident with my decision if you’d go ahead and make him your running partner… “Vice President Harry Callahan!” Would you do it for a fistful of dollars… maybe for a few dollars more? I know you can’t hear it, but this post is fading to the tune from the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

“Right turn, Clyde!” …and yes, shrimp and cake were served on my twenty-second birthday (and my 51st)! Woo Hoo!

This entry was posted in WordPosts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Get Off My Lawn

1. ansuyo says:

Lol. Might as well find the humor in our situation :). Angie

2. Happy belated birthday! Too bad Clint is not running for president!

3. Elder Wesley says:

R.L. Dabney points out The uselessness of the conservative party over 100 years ago.

“It may be inferred again that the present movement for women’s rights will certainly prevail from the history of its only opponent, Northern conservatism. This is a party which never conserves anything. Its history has been that it demurs to each aggression of the progressive party, and aims to save its credit by a respectable amount of growling, but always acquiesces at last in the innovation. What was the resisted novelty of yesterday is today one of the accepted principles of conservatism; it is now conservative only in affecting to resist the next innovation, which will tomorrow be forced upon its timidity and will be succeeded by some third revolution; to be denounced and then adopted in its turn. American conservatism is merely the shadow that follows Radicalism as it moves forward towards perdition. It remains behind it, but never retards it, and always advances near its leader. This pretended salt bath utterly lost its savor: wherewith shall it be salted? Its impotency is not hard, indeed, to explain. It is worthless because it is the conservatism of expediency only, and not of sturdy principle. It intends to risk nothing serious for the sake of the truth, and has no idea of being guilty of the folly of martyrdom. It always, when about to enter a protest, very blandly informs the wild beast whose path it essays to stop, that its “bark is worse than its bite,” and that it only means to save its manners by enacting its decent role of resistance. The only practical purpose which it now subserves in American politics is to give enough exercise to Radicalism to keep it “in wind,” and to prevent its becoming pursy and lazy from having nothing to whip. No doubt, after a few years, when women’s suffrage shall have become an accomplished fact, conservatism will tacitly admit it into its creed, and thenceforward plume itself upon its wise firmness in opposing with similar weapons the extreme of baby suffrage; and when that too shall have been won, it will be heard declaring that the integrity of the American Constitution requires at least the refusal of suffrage to asses. There it will assume, with great dignity, its final position.”~ Women’s Rights Women.

But when considering both candidates, what really is the difference? Those who say, ” Romney is better than Obama”. I really don’t see it.

4. Well, congratulations for finding something humorous in politics. While I am not an American and maybe shouldn’t comment, I can’t see things getting any better regardless of the outcome – there or here.

We are one day closer! (and I don’t mean to the elections)

5. Jeff says:

Happy birthday, brother.

6. isaiah43123 says:

Clint Eastwood, birthdays and politics; all I can say is, “I do like tator-tots.” Happy belated birthday, my firend.
    Keep the Faith!

7. granbee says:

Clint Eastwood,shrimp, and cake–great way to spend your 51st birthday!

8. SPTP2011 says:

Happy Birthday and God Bless your new year

9. Brilliant post! Very funny. I’m gonna wait and see who Spongebob Squarepants endorses to make my decision.

10. creditaction says:

It could be simpler, don’t vote for the candidate who endorses the killing of babies in the womb.

Very true good friend. And you strike a nerve over here as this is one of causes that I indeed am behind greatly. Unfortunately, I’m not confident that there are any candidates who take this legalized act of murder seriously. Our friends from the red side of the aisle do a lot of talking, but never do any acting… no matter how many promises (they have had opportunity to do so). Rebecca Hamilton has an excellent series on this over her way. http://publiccatholic.com/2012/07/03/stop-slogan-voting-stop-hate-voting-stop-being-manipulated-introduction/

Of course, it really isn’t fair to come down on our leaders if were not willing to do something ourselves. As believers, were all called to be involved in trying to end this horrible attrocity against the image-bearers of God.

Thanks for throwing the nod for the helpless and unborn members of our society, and many blessings.

11. Chaz says:

Canadian politics has far fewer dramatic spins like celebrity endorsements. Not saying it is any better, nor am I saying our politicians are any more honourable. We simply don’t have this variable to deal with.

12. Wayne Augden says:

First of all, thank you for giving me the best laugh I’ve had all day. I love to laugh, so you’ve blessed me extraordinarily…:) Secondly, a decision to vote for one is as easy as any decision I’ve ever made because the long and short of it is, is that I will be casting my vote on the performance of the one in current office. Job performance is #1! Either someone has done their job or they haven’t and it’s that simple. Loved your post, and happy twenty-second birthday…*wink* & 🙂

13. ccragamuffin says:

“I know what you’re thinking. ‘Did he fire up twenty two candles or only five?’ Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a powerful blog post, and it could blow your thinking clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel like wishing him happy birthday? Well, do ya?”
    Happiest Birthday Blessings To You…and I hope you had a chance to say…”Go ahead and make my day”…
    (Political post??? You must be lookin’ for a fight to celebrate your birthday with! Maybe your inner Clint Eastwood is trying to break through. Fun reading though.)

I’m now rolling on the floor laughing. That is just too creative, good friend! There may be a little Dirty Harry in all of us… 🙂

14. April says:

Loved how you expressed your opinion in this post and Happy Birthday!

15. Lyn Leahz says: