Taking It To The Streets

It is easy for the church to exist in a bubble.

A bubble that has nothing to do with reality. It is also easy to be blinded by the bubble and think you are evangelistic and reaching your community when in reality you are not.

This scares me. Pastor Phillip Brande

A mission and a message. Take a moment to find the encouragement of this Pastor’s words, and to offer a prayer of support as they prepare to be the Church… not a building. The article can be found here.

This entry was posted in Reblog and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Taking It To The Streets

1. For some reason bubbles attract. Wherever children are blowing bubbles (and there are some really powerful bubble-blowing ‘guns’ nowadays) a crowd will soon gather, either to watch or to join in. It is fun. Bubbles are also relaxing. Many have said this about the “bubble” screen saver with Windows 7.

If our Church has become a bubble, we need to separate that bubble into a number of bubbles and make it an attraction and a place of relaxation for people “out there” to come and join us. Bubbles can float far and wide. Let’s start floating out into the community.

2. Debbie says:

Great post by Phillipe. I can only imagine how different my life would have been if I hadn’t spent 25 years in a bubble, in a bubble church.

I have a feeling there’s a whole bunch of us (maybe all), if we’re honest, who have shared that bubble for much too long Debbie. I’m excited though, for I think our eyes are being opened to this reality.
      May God tear our comforted lives apart until there’s nothing left but Him and the ability to be His Son’s body. Blessings good friend.

3. Steven Sawyer says:

Mike, thanks for posting. I agree wholeheartedly. I’m going to relate this to my series, The Church: Harlot Or Bride. I like your comparison to a bubble. You are spot on. The church is in big trouble and we need repentance, big time. Thanks again for this. God bless.

I have had the chance to read some of your series, Steven. Very good and very real stuff. The bubble is of course Pastor Brande’s analogy, but I’m with you… I think it’s where we are. Hope to get back to your series soon. Blessings.

• Steven Sawyer says:

Thank you, Michael. Always good to hear from you and read what God has led you to on your blog. Great stuff. You have the gift of brevity. I love that about your stuff. I, on the other hand, am a windbag sometimes. :>)
        God bless.

4. literary lew says:

Thanks for the posting and I’ll check out the reference. The “bubble” is one of my passions in the whole of life, certainly including faith and politics. Living there is living in an insular world, and to borrow from Shakespeare, when we do that, “we feed even on the pith of life” meaning we are basically self-absorbed, stewing in our own juices, and if I might be a bit crude…ahem…hmm…”pleasuring ourselves.” This is a daily temptation for all of us, wherever we might be on the liberal-conservative spectrum.

Very good and very true Lew! “…self-absorbed, stewing in our own juices, and if I might be a bit crude…ahem…hmm…”pleasuring ourselves” is an awfully good (pun intended) description of a lot of our lives. Thanks and blessings friend. (btw, I hear Big Mac has left the Card’s batting room)

5. Rob Barkman says:

Very true words and much needed. Sometimes as churches we start feeling sorry for ourselves when things don’t go our way and slowly go into a defensive attitude. How sad. For each of us the need is to be offensive in the cause of Christ knwoing that we are more than conquerors through Him. Lord bless you.

Amen good friend… “more than conquerors!” I believe that is what the author of this article has seen, and now sets forth to prove. I’m excited to hear all that God accomplishes through their efforts. Blessings