When I’m Ten Feet Tall

Getting a grip on this thing is starting to resemble me juggling jello with both hands tied behind my back. It’s ending up everywhere.

If you’ve been following along, you know I’ve tried to make sense of the believer’s responsibility to live in the Kingdom while being a profitable citizen in one’s nation… or something like that. I’ve used terms like revolution and resistance, but I’m pretty sure I’m a whole lot more confused now than when I began.

Borrowing from Neo, who took the lead from Oobie, I think I’m a lot like Alice. Chased any rabbits lately? You know you want to click the play button.

Thanks for getting me excommunicated Neo; my good friend.

Maybe somewhere in the midst of convictions and heart conditions lies the answer. Somehow those early Americans knew it was right to take a stand. Bonhoeffer knew he couldn’t go along with Hitler’s atrocities.

Maybe it has more to do with the cost than the gain. When Dietrich Bonhoeffer resisted, it cost him his life. He gained nothing personally.

Could we ask a couple more questions that possibly give us some direction as to what is driving a dislike for the path our nation is on? Questions like…

Am I angry because I don’t have as much money as I used to, or because excessive taxation and burdensome environmental policies have cost my next door neighbor his job?

Am I angry because I have to work while my government gives away ridiculous entitlements, or because my children and grandchildren will be the responsible parties who have to contend with this mass of debt?

Am I angry because of the taxes they take from me, or because my government now intends to confiscate my tax dollars and fund the murder of helpless and innocent children?

Look, I would go ask Alice… but contrary to Grace Slick‘s advice, I think the answer won’t be found in a rabbit hole, but in a closer walk with Jesus. A walk that I believe Dietrich Bonhoeffer traveled, but also one that led many to respond in submission. The floor is yours… just look out for the Red Queen and the chess pieces. Oh, and… is Grace asking me to “free my head?”

This entry was posted in Reblog, SongPosts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to When I’m Ten Feet Tall

1. mtsweat says:

With every comment I’m more and more astounded. Of course, I could be disappointed that nothing was said of Jefferson Airplane. 🙂 In truth, you bring the dilemma more forward. If, in fact, we want to follow Jesus, left or right… forward? I’m not so sure we’re able to find the answer through the course of history, or even in the actions of the recipients of letters from the Apostles. Maybe we just have to trust that when the time comes (and it could be now), our God will bring conviction, strength, and that He will confirm in our hearts we need to do more than submit. Maybe that’s how our Founding Fathers knew? Dietrich? An immeasurable number of others?

Have I ever mentioned you have an amazing gift of giving no answers while giving just the right answer? Blessings CC!

• NEO says:

You’re right, this is an incredibly good comment stream. History will help, as will the Apostles, and even the fearsome God of the Old Testament but we have to work from the spirit, and we will know. That’s the big lesson from history. The real lesson is most commonly seen in Latin (although it should be in Greek)

” In Hoc Signo Vinces”

And Mike, I’ve always liked Jefferson Airplane – much better than the Starship

2. ccragamuffin says:

“Alice came to a fork in the road. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked.
    ‘Where do you want to go?’ responded the Cheshire Cat.
    ‘I don’t know,’ Alice answered.
    ‘Then,’ said the Cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.”

3. I am enjoying the blogs and the comments. I think perhaps resistance and revolution put the emphasis on the wrong syllable. We are not called to resist a government but to follow our God. If in following our God we end up defying a government then so be it.

That is fantastic! That brings clarity as I’ve yet to see it. Thank you good friend, you’ve made my evening with this remarkable message of our simplicity we have in Christ. Blessings!

4. I am far behind in blog reading so I go out on a limb to comment here. I have been reading my Bible through and presently am reading Moses’ instructions to the Hebrew people just prior to entering the Promised Land. Deuteronomy 5-29 is practical, spiritual advice on how to build a Godly nation. It is good advice; something to be reckoned with in our souls as individuals, and certainly as a nation. How is our country going to ever go back to Biblical principles at this point? I am not sure but we can keep them from slipping even further away. Individual responsibility. Even as a child I did not like fantasy and never did finish reading Alice in Wonderland so I don’t quite understand the analogy. Sorry. Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison: to be respected! Moses: absolutely regarded.

Behind maybe, but right on time here. Very good points, and taken well over here. Blessings as you serve our Lord good friend.

5. NEO says:

Loopy is right of course but, it’s hard not be angered when people work against our best interests both spiritual and temporal. The reason we ask Alice is, of course, because the world has gone topsy-turvy, and we seek solid ground. But we do have this rock, as we have for 2000 years.

My only real advice is to do as the Holy Spirit directs, Bonhoeffer wasn’t hanged until the spring of 1945, and Luther at one point expected to be burned within a week. Our brothers are in much worse shape than we are, and we owe it to them to keep up our spirits.

Excommunicated for a white rabbit, surely not,

Keep the faith, my friend.

Great points and advise Neo. I like that your inclination is toward “our brothers.” The fleshly lean is always back my direction. If the struggle I have with my government is due to my suffering, I probably need to reevaluate my spiritual condition. But we find Scripture always leading us to defend the hurting, the weak, and the helpless. I pray that’s where my loyalties lie. Blessings

• NEO says:

Nothing there that says we shouldn’t fight our own government’s proclivities to restrict our faith but, the remnants of the Church of the East, the Copts and the rest in other parts of the world are in much greater distress, but if we can get our house in order we will be much more effective in helping them.

I seem to remember that God helps those who help themselves.

Bless you.

6. loopyloo305 says:

Anger is pointless, sad, yes, disappointed, yes. Anger limits me to this world and I prefer what God is offering. Standing for God, is not standing for any nation, even though I believe this one is the best right now. Our place is not here, nor is our treasure.

Amen good friend. Amen. I think you hit the key to everything. “Our treasure.” We need only identify our treasure… our heart will be right there with it. May we find that Jesus is our Treasure. Blessings