15 Reasons Why You Might be a Pharisee

thumpIt’s nothing new to inform you of Jesus’ rejection of and attack upon the religious leaders of Israel, especially those known as the Pharisees.

It might be surprising though to find how easily we can act just like them. So, you might be a Pharisee if you don’t read this list (just kidding). You might be a Pharisee if…

1. You tell others what they should do, while having no intention of doing it yourself.

2. You love your extra-biblical rules and traditions, so much so, that you oppress others with them and deem them godly.

3. Appearance is everything to you. You can determine immediately who is a Christian by simply evaluating someone’s attire.

4. Regardless of what anyone else knows, it is all about you.

5. You know you deserve every bit of the respect you demand.

6. You love to be served. You will never serve in return (refer to points 4 and 5).

7. You demand that others follow in the footsteps of your self-righteousness.

8. The false piety you’ve adorned looks pretty attractive to you and should someone question it, they need only refer to points 4 and 5.

9. They owe it to you; all of it, and they better give it to you. You’ve earned it and deserve it. Remember points 4 and 5?

10. The path you’re on is lonely, so you insist others join you in your pursuit of religion.

11. Integrity is an outdated word in your dictionary. Whatever it takes to get ahead is your philosophy.

12. By simply manipulating situations and people you have everything under control.

13. You love religious practices, not people.

14. You distort God’s example of justice, mercy, and grace. Simply put, you look nothing like the Savior whose redemption you’ve replaced with religion.

15. You are the hypocrite who causes people to reject the good news of Jesus Christ. In you, all they see is another man-made religion with no healing; only more death.

The truth is, the Pharisees didn’t need God. They didn’t even want God. They just wanted His rules so they could twist them for personal benefit. They wanted the power, rewards, and authority to punish, power that came with being religious.

Religious people are the same way today. They don’t want Jesus. They want His stuff and His Heaven, but not Him.

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to 15 Reasons Why You Might be a Pharisee

1. Pingback: Religion or Relationship – Luke 6:1-11 | Steve's Bible Meditations

2. Pingback: Christians Do NOT….. | life of a female bible warrior

3. Pingback: Take a Long Look in the Mirror | Resting in His Grace

4. Pingback: The Curse of Being Religious | Wayfarer

5. Pingback: Get out of the world and it’s ways……………. NOW | Ancient Paths

6. Patty B says:

That is a wake up call we all need ~ thanks! Blessings

7. Pingback: Following Jesus or Following the Rules | This Day With God

8. April says:

Well said, Friend..

9. literary lew says:

That is a beautiful, poetic image, “pouring ourselves into people.” And re “toleration” and sin, I think sin so often goes neglected by Christians because its taint goes so deep. But an old bromide still carries weight for me, “Where there is no judgment, there is no mercy.” Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. You are a blessing to me and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

10. literary lew says:

That was really fine! Very astute observations. You and I are on the same team in spite of how it might appear from time to time.

Hi Lew! Yes, I believe we are indeed. Thanks good friend and may the day be blessed for you and yours.

• literary lew says:

An afterthought…this “Jesus thing” that you and I subscribe to is incredibly powerful. And, I am increasingly discovering just our real He is and how essential He is to my life and to the whole of life. And “Jesus” (as opposed to compulsive ideology about “Jesus) encourages more acceptance and toleration, not less. I daily thank the good Lord for giving me the gift of faith and for my conservative past which has instilled this in my heart, even if now I am not really “conservative.” Thanks again.

I’m with you lock, stock, and barrel on the acceptance good friend, but on toleration, I’d have to say the term needs more definition. 🙂 As Jesus announced His ministry (Luke 4:18), He also used the words of Isaiah to declare His anointment to bring good news to the poor, to heal the brokenhearted, to set free the captives, to restore sight to the blind, and give liberty to the oppressed.

Jesus accepted people where they were, but He had no intention in leaving them as He found them. In reality, a very intolerant God is seen on Calvary’s Hill bringing His full measure of wrath against His only Son because of the sins of the world. My sin. As agents of His grace, we are called to be a people who accepts just like Jesus did, and a people insistent on discipling others with the entire counsel of God. The gospel is good news! But the good news came because God was not tolerant of my sin, He just knew I couldn’t do anything about it, so He took the entire matter into His own hands.

We’re much closer in likeness than I think you believe good friend. Possibly, if we differ, it’s in how we view the method in which we enact a certain degree of tolerance. I believe I can accept others, but still be intolerant of their lifestyles or even their beliefs. But there is an order to this madness of mine. It’s of no value to the Kingdom for me to be a rampant protester of those lifestyles and beliefs without my having first established a relationship and gave an understanding of where I’m standing. I like to think we conquer the kingdom of darkness the same way the church has for two thousand years… one life at a time. We have to pour ourselves into people, not just stand on the corner shouting obscenities. Many blessings Lew! (conservatism… that’s an issue for another day)

11. Deena Siddle says:

I pray that I am truly never that way. That I serve God my savior no matter what people think of me. Or how it will benefit me.

12. Rob Barkman says:

All of the above are very true…. May we all ask the Lord for His grace to keep us from these attitudes that any one of us can slip into at any time. Lord bless you MT. Thanks again for your faithfulness to the Lord.

We have a great God whose great Son provided a great redemption… why do we insist on spoiling it with the weak attempt of self-righteousness? Thanks good friend and many blessings.

13. JessicaHof says:

A good list, my friend 🙂

14. Judy says:

Ooo…not a pretty picture. How easy it is for Chrstians (myself included) to trip into some of these characteristics. Lord, may I serve you in humility and grace.

15. exreligiouschristian says:

Great points! I have to catch myself when I start to behave like a Pharisee!

16. Reblogged this on One Shepherd's Stance and commented:
    This is a good reminder to all of us. Well worth considering!

Thanks ShepherdScott… as I consider these words, I must admit I’m too often the guilty Pharisee. The glory of the gospel is Jesus. He is the good news. Blessings friend.