It might be surprising though to find how easily we can act just like them. So, you might be a Pharisee if you don’t read this list (just kidding). You might be a Pharisee if…
1. You tell others what they should do, while having no intention of doing it yourself.
2. You love your extra-biblical rules and traditions, so much so, that you oppress others with them and deem them godly.
3. Appearance is everything to you. You can determine immediately who is a Christian by simply evaluating someone’s attire.
4. Regardless of what anyone else knows, it is all about you.
5. You know you deserve every bit of the respect you demand.
6. You love to be served. You will never serve in return (refer to points 4 and 5).
7. You demand that others follow in the footsteps of your self-righteousness.
8. The false piety you’ve adorned looks pretty attractive to you and should someone question it, they need only refer to points 4 and 5.
9. They owe it to you; all of it, and they better give it to you. You’ve earned it and deserve it. Remember points 4 and 5?
10. The path you’re on is lonely, so you insist others join you in your pursuit of religion.
11. Integrity is an outdated word in your dictionary. Whatever it takes to get ahead is your philosophy.
12. By simply manipulating situations and people you have everything under control.
13. You love religious practices, not people.
14. You distort God’s example of justice, mercy, and grace. Simply put, you look nothing like the Savior whose redemption you’ve replaced with religion.
15. You are the hypocrite who causes people to reject the good news of Jesus Christ. In you, all they see is another man-made religion with no healing; only more death.
The truth is, the Pharisees didn’t need God. They didn’t even want God. They just wanted His rules so they could twist them for personal benefit. They wanted the power, rewards, and authority to punish, power that came with being religious.
Religious people are the same way today. They don’t want Jesus. They want His stuff and His Heaven, but not Him.