Blog Visitors from Hades

A Horse Walks Into A Bar

A Horse Walks Into A Bar (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

A horse walks into a bar and takes a seat. The bartender greets him with, “Why the long face, pal?” ~ A meaningful joke by Sheldon Cooper

Growing readership doesn’t come overnight for most. Growing readership may never come for the many. Growing readership may be a pipe dream… anything wrong with dreaming?

It seemed a good time to report in on the success/ failure rate of the newly implemented suggestions from the gurus of the blogging world. Has readership increased? …not so much, maybe a tad.

I have noticed some things have changed though. For one, the primary objective happened. Our missions pages have seen more traffic by eliminating all of the clutter from our header. I guess if there’s only a couple of choices, more will click in.

We’ve also noticed an increase in commenting. Well, as long as the topic is comment-able. What I mean is, it seems readers are comfortable commenting on certain topics and not others.

The current series on hell appears to be an area of much discomfort. Duh… The visits to these articles are normal, but the crickets seem to take over the response blocks. Go figure.

On that note, the ever-encouraging ccragamuffin brought some interesting thoughts to the most recent article “The Context of Hell.” She alluded to the fact that everything is not so black and white on the playing field of this discussion. Should you not have noticed, she also did a little name-tossing… names that should cause us to stop and consider just how unsettled the Christian view of this eternal place of torment really is. Far be it from me to stand toe to toe with John Stott or C. S. Lewis.

Still, the series will roll on.

So what’s on tap for next week? This, by the way is another suggestion from the masters of the blogging world: schedule your articles. So let’s see how well I’m able to stick to these guns.

Monday – Continuing series on hell.

Tuesday – Touring with Ezra in Dakar

Wednesday – Posting at ChristianBlessings (ccragamuffin’s Meandering with Moses series)

Thursday – Ramblings from the Grace Ranch.

Friday – Free! Well, free to roam the prairies as I choose.

What do you think of trying to schedule your writing? Does this put too much constraint on our freedom, or add some discipline? Also, as some suggest, can a writer post too little or too much? Happy weekend!

This entry was posted in Blog Traffic, Hell and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Blog Visitors from Hades

1. When I started blogging here, I aimed to post twice a week, but it soon became once a week. Lately, with less time because of more responsibilities, it has become roughly one every two weeks, though I do still try to blog weekly.

Scheduling? Not for me – but then a continuing topic isn’t the blog ministry my Lord has given me. I just blog what He shows/gives me.

I truly understand the “less time” and “more responsibilities” good friend. I’ve become fond of the blogging as led practice… it’s pretty much what I’ve practiced all along also. This will be a challenge, one that I may abandon quickly. 🙂 Thanks and blessings!

2. RJ Dawson says:

By the way, it IS a good joke. And managing to illustrate it took some work. And I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but a skeleton walked in a bar and said, “Gimme a beer and a mop.”

3. billhogan77 says:

Hey MT! I think “to schedule or not to schedule” depends on several variables:
    – Is research required?
    – Is the author more ordered, or more free-flow?
    – Are the blogs leading to a climax, or publishing continuing ideas within a theme.
    And I wouldn’t worry so much about comments… especially on the deeper theological concepts. For me personally, I may not respond, but that doesn’t mean I’m not thinking about it for a while. Your impact can’t be measured just by comments. Perhaps a better measure of influence is how many people re-visit, re-post, and continue to interact with your blog in some way.
    Just my two cents…
    Be blessed!

This is some fantastic input you offer good friend. Your two cents are worth much more than two cents. 🙂 I agree with you wholeheartedly. As a matter of fact, I have some favorite writers who rarely have responses in their comment blocks. I’m moved by their words just as much as those sites that mass tens of hundreds of comments. Well said, Bill!

4. RJ Dawson says:

Hey Mike, in all reality I usually never know what I’m going to post until I receive it, so scheduling for me is usually not possible. When the inspiration arrives, or the message comes, or something just clicks, the words begin to flow. Yet, for others I can see that scheduling is probably a must.

Also, the thing about taking an authoritative stance, or the appearance of such, does seem to limit response. Praise God for a soft and consoling touch, and the work of all the mercy-showers out there, because they attract by their anointing a bigger group, in that we all need a welcoming and unconditional love.

On the hand, prophets have a tendency to be strong and unrelenting because they must speak the truth and not water it down. That’s why prophets are often the least popular historically.

Keep up the good work.

I have a feeling this scheduling thing won’t work well for me either RJ. As said before, I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants. We’ll give it a trial run though…

Good thoughts on the prophets. Thanks!

5. Morning
    Yes, I feel the same – a tad bit more readers – not much more comments though (about the same)
    I really appreciate all the info you gave to me and the work it took to compile the information.
    I do schedule my writing too and it helps – I try to write ahead a week or so.. in order to help eliminate feeling stressesful about the posts
    God Bless

Maybe the “tad more” is the gain we look forward to and learn to be thankful for good friend. Interesting on the planning ahead of your posts… this will be new ground for me, I hope I can even do it. I usually fly by the seat of my pants on this blogging thing… discipline, must learn discipline. 🙂

Thanks and many blessings to you also!

• A “tad more” is perfect – just right and I am learning to be thankful for whatever comes my way, too!
        I have been trying to write ahead for about one year now. I write down ideas from the Word or other readings or movies or even billboards – then I carve out some time and write/schedule the post. I try to work one week ahead and then if something comes up I am not scrambling. Hopefully that helps
        God Bless

I will definitely keep your encouragement in mind as I try this scheduling thing… hope no one is super discouraged in me should I drop the ball though. 🙂

6. NEO says:

We’ve also noticed a difference between authors, even on the same topic. Jess tends to attract more comments than I do, and it’s the same on her blog, our conjecture is that I and her co-authors there write in a more authoritative tone which for one reason or another doesn’t invite as many comments. Good post and series 🙂

That’s a very observant point Neo. I think the two of you are on to something with your analysis. I wonder if this is because we dislike an authoritative stance, or that we see the author has “drawn a red line in the sand,” which obviously means nothing 🙂 and we feel the article is less inviting to respond to? Good thoughts.

• NEO says:

We think (without analysis, so take for what it’s worth) that her co-authors, including me, who are all older and male, tend to speak more authoritatively and not leave a lot of room for debate if your not knowledgeable yourself, where she has a lighter, more accessible touch. We’ve referred to it a time or two as the difference between a teacher and a lecturer, our readership is reasonably close, the guys just don’t get comments as well, unless we’re being deliberately controversial 🙂

Funny you mention that… I’ve fallen into a couple of the traps at AATW before, being kind of slow, and not recognizing their ploy. 🙂

• NEO says:

There’s occasionally a bit of baiting going on, directed at you know you, I’m sure, and it works every time 🙂 fun for all, and certainly not directed at you.

7. LightWriters says:

Some of the most powerful sites out there, even with thousands of followers, get few comments or likes…That doesn’t mean God isn’t moving. We live by FAITH not by sight! 🙂 Great post!