Playing Hide and Seek with Your Gravatar

0d078ef5c7cb8702f310f5b712d14e3bShazam! Somehow I thought it was there… as if it would just magically attach itself to my Gravatar I suppose.

But then came the words from Lyn Leahz, “you had a post recently on traffic to your blog…  you guys should consider adding your website to your gravatar profile..because nobody can find you otherwise….  when people are interested, they look at your gravatar to find your blog address.”

Well pickle me pink and call me Petunia (no, never mind… please don’t do that)! I have no idea why I assumed the link was there, but just as Lyn declared, I looked to find only those famous words to Adam, “Where are you?”

Here’s why the advice is so needed. Should you decide to “like” an author’s post, without this link attached to your Gravatar, readers who happen upon your “like” of the work have no means of getting to your site through your Gravatar.

If you are of a mind to take care of this small task, it’s as simple as going through your dashboard, to users, my profile, then copy and paste the desired links.

ResizeImageHandlerSpeaking of Lyn Leahz, her long anticipated book “Soul Deceiver” is now available! Details can be found here.

From all of us here at RIHG, thanks for the advice and the book Lyn!

I’m really curious if I’m the only party neglectful of my Gravatar… or even the only one willing to endure the shame of admitting it.

arrivederci…

This entry was posted in Blog Responses, Blog Traffic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Playing Hide and Seek with Your Gravatar

1. Pingback: Gravatar | Missing the Muse

2. Lyn Leahz says:

OH, and you can do the same thing with STRIKE to put a line through something.

3. Lyn Leahz says:

Well, look there..the bold did work. It just won’t justify..I tried that again..probably because it knows how obsessed we are with it! ha ha ha.. God bless!

4. Lyn Leahz says:

You know…too..I never noticed…but you block your text too! LOL I have always done this because it looks cleaner. I am always telling everyone they should do it too. I was in journalism for three years in high school, and wrote for the local papers.. they pounded ‘justify’ into our heads. Kudos to you! We also sweep over our text and make it black..as opposed to the wordpress gray, although your font appears dark enough as opposed to the normal wordpress font color. Greg and I tell all of our authors, “Black and Block!” ha ha ha.. Anal, huh? God bless you!

What’s the excessive compulsive… you know what I mean! Let me tell you how bad I am on blocking… It drives me crazy to no end that texts in widgets can’t be blocked! 🙂

…and comments!

• Lyn Leahz says:

Yes they can! On some themes it does not work…but it did here..look: http://vineoflife.net/2013/05/18/nasa-meteor-slams-into-moon-causes-explosion-visible-to-naked-eye-on-earth/ (see in the sidebar..FOLLOW BLOG) and I did it on Lyn Leahz see the copyright. You can also do it on your comments on some themes. I’ll try it on this one and see if it works when I post this comment..if it’s not justified..your theme doesn’t support the command.It’s the greater than and less than sign with the word justify inside before the text. At the end, you put the same thing, but with this symbol / before the word. The same is true if you want to BOLD or Italics except then it’s just an I. I have used the commands for those too by their words. So now let me see if your theme will obey my justify command.

• Lyn Leahz says:

Nope. BAD THEME! BAD! LOL it didn’t do the bold or anything. I have no idea on wordpress why some things work on certain themes and not on others. It’s JUST an html command.

5. Lyn Leahz says:

There is one more little trick I can teach you if you don’t know already. Here is an example. You know the link you put here for people to click on regarding my book? Where it says, ‘here’? What you want, is you want a new window to open so the ‘visitor’ will ‘possibly’ find more things to browse on your page, particularly if they are new.

So, what you do is you sweep over the word you want to link. In this case, HERE. Highlight it with your mouse. Then, in your edit area (assuming you have the kitchen sink open..the very last icon in your edit area tools…if you’ve never clicked it before..it gives you two rows of editing tools. If you hover over it..it says “Kitchen Sink”) There should be a picture of a chain link, and a broken chain link.

Okay. So the word HERE is still highlighted over…you go up and click on the UN-broken chain link. You will add the URL (I always delete the http:// they have and replace it with the URL I’ve copied from wherever I’m linking to–you’ll know what I mean when you see it)…then, in the space below that, you can put anything… you can put the word SOURCE..doesn’t matter…or you can leave it blank. But, the little check box..that’s important. Put a check mark in the box (new window)… and select OKAY, or DONE..or whatever it says. Presto! Now when people click on the link..a new page will open up and they won’t have to leave yours.

If you already knew all of this..which I am assuming you did..then just scratch this! 🙂 If many viewers have to leave your page completely..more than likely, when they’re done looking at the page you’ve linked to..they’ll just close the page as opposed to taking the time to hit the back arrow. So new page is always best.

That is good advice! Will do this… and no, had no idea. Thanks and many blessings good friend! 🙂

• Lyn Leahz says:

You are welcome. I am happy to help you any time you need it. Don’t be shy. A gazillion different people email me for help on a regular basis… they always think they are bothering me..but it’s no big deal. I like to help. I used to write webpages a while back in html language. I’ve forgotten a lot in those regards, but catch on easy to this stuff as a result.

6. Lyn Leahz says:

I just now saw this..so sorry it has taken me so long! LOL You would be amazed how many people DO NOT have their web url listed on their gravatar. When I first started blogging, I would get so frustrated because I wanted to go to people’s websites to say thanks for the LIKE or see who they were.. so I would type their name, followed by the .wordpress.com Sometimes I got lucky, other times, it did not work. I usually try to tell people when I notice.

Also…thank you SO MUCH for mentioning my book here. That is so sweet of you! God bless you for that. I appreciate it more than you could possibly imagine.

May our heavenly Father shower many blessings upon you and your family always. ♥♥♥