Are You Offended?

Things that make you say… whaaa? As in considering the words below by awhitely over at “Trusting or Tripping.”

I share the Gospel with all, regardless of background, because even if the group is composed fully of believers, we all need to preach the Gospel to ourselves daily!  It was reported to me later, however, that this church was offended that I shared the story of Jesus.

This church was offended that I shared the story of Jesus.

we are offended

(Photo credit: the|G|™)

The author of the article gives us insight to the offensiveness of the gospel. There’s some very interesting thoughts that you’ll want to visit and read. Having not been there, what I’m not sure of was whether the church was offended by the message of the gospel or the insinuation that maybe they were not saved. In either scenario though, I think the church responded very badly.

Personally, I think this was one of the types of attitudes Paul contended with in Galatia. It was the mindset that, yes, I need the gospel to be saved; but once I’ve got that, let’s move on to something more, as though the good news becomes demeaning and naïve with age. Paul assures his listeners that they are in as great a need of the gospel every day of their lives… for the rest of their lives.

As a Christian, would you be offended by another Christian sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with you; even if you knew they were very aware that you had already made a profession of faith? Think about that one for a moment…

This entry was posted in Missions, Reblog and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Are You Offended?

1. msinop1 says:

I don’t think I would be offended, I guess it would depend on how it was presented. If it was presented as if I am in high school and some one is trying to re teach me my abc’s in a condescending way, or in love they are reminding me of how the alphabet goes. Actually it shouldn’t matter, we should always be humble, This was a check up for me, just hit me as I was writing so I won’t change the beginning. Thank you and Blessings– Marty (msinop1.wordpress.com)

Love your honesty. And yes, right there with you. The originating author’s thoughts really made me think about how I would respond in the church’s case. I have a feeling, that before this post, had I been along with them, the article would have turned out the same. P R I D E…that spells me. Thanks and many blessings today.

2. When I share the gospel I often hear things like, “oh I am already a christian” or “I am a deacon” or “I am already saved…” when I share the gospel. What does that matter? Whast does it matter if you are a pastor of 50 years? We never get to mature for the gospel message. When Someone shares with me, I rejoice, first in the truth that is being proclaimed, second that God would save a wretch like me, and third that this person is actually sharing the gospel message to a stranger. Think about it, God has saved you, yet he is still reminding you that you are a sinner in need of a saviour every time someone shares with you…I pray that I never get offended at the gospel message.

3. Excellent post!

Also, just a quick word of Thanks for your support over at our place. Plus, we just added you to our ‘BlogRoll’.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

Thanks so much! Awesome articles you bring us at your place. But then, I suppose two heads are always better than one! 🙂

4. LightWriters says:

Excellent post,…and timely. I just read and was blessed by how Pastor Francis Frangipane discussed the subject of being ‘unoffendable’ with the new heart we’ve been given in Jesus Christ: http://www.frangipane.org/

5. lambskinny says:

I’ve had people share Christ with me on FB occasionally and even ‘accuse’ me of not being a Christian at all on FB; neither particularly offends ME. I do wonder what God thinks of those who accuse brothers and sisters in Christ of not being “in the family.” Many blessings, Michael! Carley

Hi Carley! Yes, your word is valid. We’re called to share the gospel… end of story. Jesus explained that trying to weed the garden was futile work for us. We don’t have the necessary tools to remove the tares without uprooting wheat with them. Salvation and who is saved is God’s work, it is enough for us to be sharers of the good news. Great point in the conversation good friend.

By the way, seems it’s been forever in coming, but have dug into “The Eight Foot Boy!” Looking forward to sharing of this, your new work. Many blessings back at you!

• lambskinny says:

Thanks Michael. I agree – we are not the hoe! In pulling out the chaff, we may inadvertently uproot the wheat. So true.
        And I look forward to your thought on THE EIGHT-FOOT BOY. I’ve put it aside for a while to get some distance.
        I’m supposed to be writing my 5th right now – but, I’ve not started…
        Many blessings, friend.

6. Jack Curtis says:

I suppose that people might be offended by someone ‘wasting my time, telling me what I already know.’ That would be pretty normal human, right? And a wee bit uncharitable, which we tend to be, don’t we? And so we need to be reminded of that from time to time…,

7. Arkenaten says:

I would be offended and amused at the same time if anyone started to espouse the gospels.
    Anyone who has to reel off such nonsense need to completely reevaluate their life and ask themselves if their tacit inculcation of children is really what the world needs?
    Maybe a bit more honesty and a lot more critical thinking?

Pardon me while I offend and amuse…

I offer only what was delivered to me of first importance, “That Jesus died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.”

That’s good stuff Ark… no matter who you are. Glad you could make your way here, blessings and thanks for your words.

• Arkenaten says:

Well, the subject of sin is open to debate. You may consider yourself damned by it, but I most certainly do not.Furthermore the object of Original Sin that you misguided lot are wont to rant about derives from the Garden of Eden and cemented in the unfortunate conscience of christians by good old Paul….
        Now, this causes a conundrum,as so many of your lot would dearly love to have chucked the OT once upon a time; Marcion was no fool. But oh no, we had to keep it because of Original Sin.
        Problem here is, the Garden of Eden is nothing but myth. And borrowed myth at that.
        So Paul is espousing doctrine based solely on myth. Go figure, right?
        And what sort of god will lose his power if a puny human eats from a tree?
        Don’t you wish Marcion was given a second chance now, hey?
        LOL!

Guess I offended more than amused… go figure.

Seriously though, I promise I have no argument with you Ark. While I am confident of the veracity of original sin, and that the Creation event as told in Genesis is historical truth, I’m still very much aware that others write it off as myth. I can live with that because it’s really not my job to prove the existence of God. I couldn’t if I wanted to. What I can tell you is that He is very real and that our need for Him is just as real. Regardless of your take of sin, I’m pretty sure you’re aware that you commit sin just like me and everyone else. Why do we do that? Have you considered why we can’t quit doing it? In our very best moments, when we do our best deeds, our motives are still selfish ones. I do something good so someone will see me doing it and make much of me. Go me!

If sin wasn’t inherited, why can’t I quit sinning? I don’t know about you, but deep down inside I don’t want to sin… I just can’t quit doing it. About the time I think I’ve mastered some file of sin in my life, reality sets in and I realize I’ve mastered nothing at all; my motivation for quitting or starting something was for self-edification.

The reality is until we come to a place where we understand our sinful nature, we can’t understand our need for a Savior. It’s what’s most wrong with Christianity in western culture. No one really thinks they are bad, so they don’t understand their need for the good news of Jesus Christ. A Holy God can accept nothing less than holiness.

Jesus offers that. He offers His righteousness to sinners. He who knew no sin, became sin, so that we might be righteous in Him. Ark, the good news is that Jesus saves sinners. But by His own acknowledgement, He came to those who are sick, not well. Until you see your illness, you’ll never see and long for His cure.

• Arkenaten says:

Your reasoning demonstrates so eloquently the inculcation you have been subjected to.
            The faculty of simple common sense has been blunted to the point that you have lost the power to look and listen to something and realise how ridiculous you would sound even to yourself if you were prepared to switch off the evangelist creationist soundtrack for two minutes.

You really are no different that a Scientologist or Christian scientist or Jehovah’s Witless(sic)or fundamentalist Muslim
            The tune you hum is merely in a different key, that’s all.

If for instance,you took half an hour to investigate archaeologists Israel Finklestein and Ze’e’v Herzog you would quickly discover that one of the bedrock stories of the Old Testament, Moses and the Exodus is nothing but myth, pure and simple. And so is the tale of Abraham. Maybe you can figure out the consequences?
            I am not going to expound on this for if you are remotely interested you will look for yourself.
            Be at peace in your ignorance if this is your choice.

I would just hope that you wouldn’t pass on the diatribe you believe onto children and at least allow them the chance to find out stuff for themselves.
            Allow them the opportunity to exercise their minds independently.

Hi Ark!

For your peace of mind, I periodically read from those who dispute my faith by means of scientific and archeological evidence… or lack of evidence. One of my current reads is “The Rise of Ancient Israel.”

As of this point, not a single one of them has been able to persuade me of anything except their desire for Christianity to be untrue, for if it is true, then the God of the Bible has the last say on what we do with this life.

Archeology is a fascinating field, but a very limited field. They can only speak of what they find. Unfortunately, they become so bold to think they can speak on what they have not found.

In reality, little of what was made or written during the Bible’s era, or say antiquity, is available for scholars to observe today. Does it mean something didn’t happen just because no one can find evidence for it? Especially when we’re talking a minute amount of excavation?

Also, your stance as adversary against the veracity of the Scriptures as historically true, fails to consider that there are maximalists defending the historical accuracy of the Bible right along with the minimalists refuting it. Year by year, more evidence is found that supports the events of the Bible. I could toss in Hoerth and Davis as sources to contrast yours.

In the end though, I can no more prove there is a God to you than you can prove He doesn’t exist. I can tell you that I know there is one true God, whose Son came into this world to save sinners like me and you, but it comes from His inside and outside influence for me personally. I look around and witness creation, and know there is a Creator. My very conscience tells me He is real. Most importantly I have His Word that reveals Him in His fullness in Christ Jesus. The greatest assurance of all though is to witness His work firsthand in my life.

So, no… I’m sorry to disappoint you, but in no way will I hold back the glorious gospel from the ears of children and adults alike. How can I refuse to tell of this abundant life I have in Christ? Many blessings and a prayer for you today friend.

• Arkenaten says:

Smile…Delusion is a wonderful thing…and life is to be enjoyed. So, who am I to deny you enjoyment.
            With the advances in all relevant fields these will be some children, and adults too, who will smile kindly at what you have to say, then walk away.
            And that number is increasing all the time.
            And for the record, the amount of people, laymen, scholars, and, believe it or not, Rabbis who concur with the findings of Israel Finkelstein is a lot more than you might imagine.
            But i doubt you would be interested in pursuing anything that might rock the metaphorical Ark, right?

8. Offended? No, I don’t think so. I would take it as an opportunity to praise God for the various ways He reaches individuals to suit their individual needs. Sharing testimonies is a great time of praise.

9. cindy0803 says:

I have had the gospel preached “at” me several times in my driveway and on my doorstep. While I am not offended, I do get a little perturbed that there is no conversation. If I tell you that Jesus is a personal friend and you proceed to tell me how to be saved, it will appear to me that you aren’t listening. Further, I have often felt like I am a quota or something to be checked off a list.

Fantastic points. All of which I have been guilty of. It seems in Scripture, Andrew had mastered the task of bringing people to Jesus with a gentle, yet excited manner. Kind of like, “Come and see!”

Thanks greatly for the visit and comment Cindy. Good thoughts we should ponder. Many blessings.

10. There are so many other things out there in the world that are worthy of being offended by.

I have only been witnessed to once or twice in my adult life. The first time, I simply smiled and nodded with them in agreement. The second time, I joined in with the person, giving praise to Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I then became good friends with this person because of it!

11. hankcr says:

I have actually had a little fun in this department. I’ve been known to pretend to be a Jehovah’s Witness or some such and test the faith and knowledge of the one attempting to share the Gospel with me. Don’t worry, I let them in on whats going on before they leave, but it can be great fun as long as you can keep a straight face.

12. Planting Potatoes says:

i would never be offended…..in fact, I feel blessed every time someone shares the gospel with me…makes no difference what I think I already believe…I don’t want to live in a world where people are afraid to share the gospel with each other for fear of offending someone…..!

13. RJ Dawson says:

Actually, it would be kind of cool to be witnessed to, since it only happened once.

But regarding the gist in our midst, religious people are the most easily offended people in the entire universe and any other universes that might exist in the history of any and all universes that have ever existed or ever will exist.

Please allow me to point whosoever will in the direction of a favorite blog that just so happened to post the following only four days before:

It gets to the heart of the matter using God’s pure Word.

Thanks for the post, Mike.

Thanks for the link RJ! Yes, by your and a couple other’s comments, I applaud the author for making an intentional point of sharing the gospel with zeal. Off to your link…

14. Judy says:

I’m never offended when someone speaks the truth of the gospel. You never know who might need to hear it…like me on some days.

15. I have been on both sides of this “offense” thing. I have been on the side where people are quoting me scripture that I am well acquainted with and know what it is saying. I know they are trying to be helpful, but my expression is not always looking for the fix, but the validation of the feelings behind it. This offense is my problem. I have also found myself offended when someone shares the salvation message with me because of my perspective. To where I am at, that is milk and I long for meat which may be the case with said church. Either way, being offended is wrong. I have also been on the other side where I have offended for trying to bring a different perspective or way of looking at a particular passage in Scripture and hackles raised because they felt the need to defend the Word, and in that case I think we were both right. Yes the Story did mean that, but it also means this. The mystery and meaning of the Word is layer upon layer and why we need the Holy Spirit revelation, What it may mean today for you may change as you dig deeper into new revelation because you have grown in maturity. I think we get offended so easily because we have such a need to be “right”. This is one of the very things I am trying to slay- the offended heart.. I want to be one who chooses not to take offense for sake of relationship. Relationships become broken or frayed when we choose to be offended, no matter what the offense is. Sadly, I am not quite there yet, but working on it!
    Thanks for a great post that encourages dialogue. I like that! 🙂
    Blessings MT

Very good thoughts. You are very right (no pun intended) in your conclusion of the root cause of our being offended, “we have such a need to be right.” Glad you offered these thoughts as this very things occurred about 5 minutes ago (to me)… Blessings!

16. Lyn Leahz says:

You always have the most interesting, thought-provoking posts. Thanks! And God bless you.

Hi Lyn! …hope your words are a good thing. 🙂 On to more important matters… well into “Soul Deceiver (Lyn’s new book – check it out!)” good friend and loving every minute of it! Soon to do a post here and offer feedback at the appropriate places. You are a gifted writer!

• Lyn Leahz says:

Wow..thank you for that. Wasn’t expecting it. You’ve made me smile today..I needed that. Have had a rotten past few days.. God bless you. And yes… the BIG WIGS contacted me yesterday..they are interested and reviewing it..and the man told me in the next couple of days they will be looking at my online reviews..so that’s why I’ve been asking for them 🙂 If Zondervan or Thomas Nelson picks it up…wow..it’ll be something. Westbow Press, my publisher, is division of Thomas Nelson… If an author gets their attention… they check them out..if they like it…they take you and become an actual ‘real’ author…best selling… they redo your book (editing, hard cover…etc and mass media on it.) This is a chance of a lifetime! And if they like it..well, all by God’s grace! Because the guy said, basically, it’s rare they take on ‘new’ Christian fiction authors… non fiction christian is the big thing right now. So please keep me in your prayers.

(BIG DEEP BREATH) That was a mouthful..or shall I say, a handful! LOL

• Lyn Leahz says:

And, thanks for the complements. Just know this…the Lord gave me all three books..this is book one, of course.. but it has some clear messages He wants out there. I am trying so hard to get the msg out to the world that it contains… God is my publicist..just as Jesus is my lawyer in heaven! LOL Amen? And your post here is great..so what I said was a complement. God bless!

17. literary lew says:

That is very thoughtful. And “thoughtfulness” is often missing in faith. I’m glad you are present in the world, “enfleshing” the Word in your day to day life. I offer you a version of the popular bromide, “You go girl”—-“you go, guy!”

Thanks Lew!! It is really good to see you friend! Your “You go!” is accepted with much gracefulness and gratitude; not to be confused with the car by the way, then it would be a “we-go.” Many blessings! 🙂

18. I don’t think I would find that offensive. I tend to get offended more by personal attacks (subtle or direct) and I think even that shows that I need to learn to more fully put my life in the hands of Christ and let me confidence in Him overshadow any negativity from others.
    Many blessings and happy Friday 🙂
    -Jen

I feel much the same as you. Still, I think I can see how someone might be offended in this author’s story. Possibly they felt they were coming in the name of Jesus to help, and it would appear to do so would mean they were Christians by evidence of their fruit. I think though they should have been enthused by the author’s willingness to teach the gospel to anyone in the pathway. As said above, we never outgrow the good news of Jesus Christ and His finished work at the cross.

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing. Many blessings to you also! 🙂