The Geography of Neglect

This is a sales pitch. Yes, it really is. However, it’s not a pitch that brings me any personal gain whatsoever. (Feel a little more comfortable to read on?) It will though bring you much gain!

episode-6-the-power-of-his-risingWe’ve been watching a series of DVD’s at our place that are rocking my world, and I feel it would be an injustice not to make mention of them to you. They’re titled “Dispatches From the Front” and are available through a multitude of sources (we went Amazon). You can check out their site here.

By the way, they are relatively inexpensive. I’ve seen them advertised as low as five dollars and never for more than fifteen each.

These films allow the viewer to go into mission fields around the world, but focuses primarily in the areas of our world where the population is the greatest and the gospel has least been shared, known as the geography of neglect (check out the map from Frontline Missions).

1040windowThese are stirring and life-changing movies. I forewarn you that some scenes are hard to watch as the producers wanted to give us a dose of reality. There’s even a warning not to distribute scenes and footage as many of these missionaries are in areas of great persecution.

As we have multiple friends serving both long-term and short-term throughout that rectangle (see page links above), I’m compelled to both shout with joy that the name of Jesus is being named where He is not known, while lifting prayers of tears for my friends as they endure much hardship for our Lord’s gospel.

Consider these DVD’s… and please pray for our missionaries. They are truly learning firsthand what it means to know the fellowship of His suffering.

This entry was posted in Missions and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Geography of Neglect

1. Thanks Michael. I had the privilege of seeing one of these films and you are correct, life changing indeed! The one I saw was about an island of people and the missionaries had to develop an alphabet, and teach the people to read their own language. They sent out to have the language translated into the Bible. The people gathered on the beach anticipating the arrival of God’s Word. When they saw the ship in the distance they danced and sang, proclaiming “The Word of God is Here!” I wanted to weep to see their love for God and His Word! Thanks for the info MT

Hi Keith! Yes, you are so right, the scene is amazing.Hey brother, should you be interested, you are now eligible for a complimentary copy of an episode of this great series. If you shoot me a ship to address to mtsweat@gmail(dotcom) it’ll be in the mail and on the way to you. Thanks and many blessings good friend!

2. Hey thanks Mike,

I appreciate this sowing Mike, and pray it returns seven fold to you. I will put this to good use to inspire those in my realm of influence! Bless You, Gayle

Hi Gayle,

I was a little concerned making this offer. We live in a difficult world to trust people with any information about ourselves. I’m glad you responded and the DVD is ordered and should arrive Thursday according to Amazon. I’m confident that you and whoever you choose to share the film with will be deeply moved by a world engaged by the gospel as compared to ours in western culture. Here’s the kicker… I was prepared to send the DVD to all and anyone who commented showing an interest. I must confess it bothers me that we can show so little interest in not only the physical needs of those in poverty stricken lands, but it appears even less interest in getting the gospel there. I have come to the conclusion that until God chooses to take away all of this stuff that we keep our confidence in instead of Him, we will continue to spiral downward into our lusts and self-gratification.

That’s why these films are a breath of fresh air. They are filmed in lands where the people have absolutely nothing. Their next drink of water is entirely dependent upon whether God gives it to them or not. That’s where I want to be. No, I’m not foolish enough to curse the blessings God has given my family. But I want to live every moment of my life knowing that what we have is only because He has given it, and not because I think I’ve attained it somehow. And I want to join our Father in changing the world. When we pick our Bibles up and read the book of Acts, we see a small band of obedient disciples do what they are told, and the world is turned upside down for Jesus Christ.

The same God rules and reigns today. His desires are exactly the same today as they were two thousand years ago.

For you and yours, enjoy the DVD. More importantly, witness God in action through the lives of those who are willing to make the same sacrifices as Paul and Peter. My pastor, teaching from Acts, shared with us an important truth. Everyday is an opportunity for every believer to make a decision to give everything and become another Paul. God isn’t holding back… we are.

Blessings good friend and sister!

• Thanks so much Mike,
        That is why we serve where we serve. Most would not come to a poor urban area where the church can barely afford you. For us it is not about prestige or earthly gain but in going where called and trusting He will provide our every need. He has been so faithful to this family of five, and sometimes He sends someone to bless us with our wants now and then. Five dollars may not seem like a lot to some, but when you give all you have back into the ministry, even a five dollar dvd is a want. Thank you for blessing us and we in turn will bless many in the viewing and hopefully inspire a few. My daughter has a heart for missions and you just may have sown the first seed into her 16 year old life.
        I too get frustrated with the apathy that many show. They are consumed with the trappings of this life instead of laying up treasures in the one that will last for eternity, but we can only pray and continue to share what God is doing in us. Thanks again Mike for being such a blessing to me!
        Gayle

3. Thanks for sharing this Mike, and the reminder to those that cannot go, we must be senders and those who will be faithful to intercede! As this region becomes more and more unstable we hear more and more testimonies of those martyred for bringing the gospel to this 10-40 window! I will be adding these videos to my list!

Thanks good sister. See, remembered. It is a good day for you also as the plan includes the first two commentators to offer a bit of wisdom and compassion for missions. To receive your gift DVD we’ll need a ship to address, which you can drop in an email. Let us know and we’ll get it in the mail. Many Blessings!

4. Steven Sawyer says:

Mike,
    I just watched some of the Dispatch trailers on the site. WOW! As I watched and listened, I was thinking, “If I were younger and in better health, I would consider doing something like they are doing in one of those countries in the 10-40 window.” What a ministry they have. What a testimony to the love of Jesus.

Thanks for all the great words Steven! I’m excited by your excitement. This is also a good day for you! I had made up my mind when writing this post that the first person to show interest was going to get a DVD on our dime. If you email me an address for delivery it will be on the way. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after seeing an entire episode! Many blessings good friend.

• Steven Sawyer says:

Thank you, Mike, for such a beautiful gesture and blessing this Monday. I sent you an email with my contact information. Thank you again. God bless you, my friend.

5. Steven Sawyer says:

Mike, thanks for sharing. I’ll go and check them out. Thank you for your heart for the missionaries who are risking their lives each day for the sake of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have a team of 45 adults and kids on the ground in Romania as I write. It’s a short term mission and they won’t share in Jesus’ sufferings there, but they will witness the spiritual and social and economic poverty of the people there. My heart for missions is local, with our 4th and 5th graders in children’s ministry. You are right, though, by calling the 10-40 window the geography of neglect. I am grateful for and pray for the missionaries there. Thank you for sharing, and thank you again for your heart. God bless.