Does it Really Matter if Jesus is God?

TrinityHow would you respond to the question in title? Does it really matter if Jesus is God?

We’ve been blessed recently with comments from a reader with very different opinions about Jesus and His relationship with the Father from that which we and all of Church History holds to be true. If I am reading our new friend’s points correctly, what is in question, is the veracity of the Trinity.

Our friend, mushtaqtariq writes:

My questions were:  Is he Second member of Triune God? Is he Son of first part of Triune God (Because He is Son of father only, he is Not son of son, Not son of holy spirit, also he is “full” God himself, he is not Son of himself), Is he at the same time “fully” God in every respect? Did he die as ordinary mortal man since God cannot die?  Hope you will re-consider your answer and my question. God bless.

First, to our commenting friend, thank you for opening up a line of communication with us. We treasure every opportunity to share our faith with anyone and everyone. We want to answer your questions. At the same time, we want to be clear, and unfortunately brief responses in comment blocks can’t adequately get us to the place we need to be if we want to be fair with you and the truth. To the best of our ability, and with the help of others, we hope to get to all of your questions. Practice patience with us.

Over the next several posts we will make a diligent attempt to explain the traditional understanding of the Bible’s declaration of there being only one true God revealed to us in three distinct persons. We’re breaking this work up to try to keep articles at 500 words (give or take a few)… for the benefit of readers and their busy schedules.

I hope many join us and participate in the discussion. In a very brief answer to our friend, “Yes, my firm belief is that Jesus is fully God and one with the Father and Holy Spirit; the Trinity. As the Church Fathers concluded, if this is disproved, all of the faith of Christianity comes crashing to the ground, Jesus would have been no more than a sick and depraved fraud (in no way a good man, as other religions suggest), and we are still in our sins awaiting the day of wrath because of our rebellion against a Holy and Righteous God.”

But take heart in the words of Thomas, speaking to the Risen Jesus, he said “My Lord and my God (John 20:28)!” It is a very difficult doctrine. In some ways (if not most), it is impossible for the human mind to grasp, but the revelation of the Trinity from Scripture and supported by Church History is by no means beyond reason; in fact I believe the evidence in support of it is irrefutable.

This entry was posted in Trinity and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Does it Really Matter if Jesus is God?

1. marcusmaxis says:

Sweat you shouldnt use big words you dont understand the true meaning of or how they relate to scripture.
    Definition of ESCHATOLOGY
    : a branch of theology concerned with the final events in the history of the world or of humankind
    : a belief concerning death, the end of the world, or the ultimate destiny of humankind; specifically: any of various Christian doctrines concerning the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, or the Last Judgment.

Gee ever hear of a book in the Bible called revelation? Do you not believe in that book? Do you not believe that Christ is going to return and rule and judge the world? Do you not believe in the resurrection? or the Last Great Day? Revelation is about the end of this world and the start of a new world of God and his son. It is about judgement and wrath that God is about to bring onto this world. Make no mistake we are not moving toward peace, but judgement. Now after the judgement Christ is going to bring peace to the world through rule which he will implement with a Rod Of Iron for a 1000 years like the scripture says. You see I believe in what the scriptures say not what man says and the scripture says that the start of all wisdom is the fear of God which is not taught today.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Luke 23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

Acts 13:16 Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

1 Peter 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Revelation 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

People of your church believe that Gods Commandments were nailed to the cross but couldnt be further from the truth.

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

But make no mistake Judgement is coming. The 10 commandments of God were not nailed to the cross, SIN WAS!! Do you love the commandments of God? or are they greivous for you?

Wow, thanks for the defining that big word for me good friend. 🙂 Good definition. My concern isn’t so much how the term is defined, but how letters like Revelation are interpreted. Until the days of Darby and Scofield, we have little record of anyone interpreting the text as do futurists today. Yes, by all means, Jesus is coming to judge the world. By the way, isn’t it interesting that the One you claim isn’t God will one day judge the entire world and every knee shall bow down to Him?

Truthfully you are very right in your analysis of me. I am no theologian or scholar. Most days I do good to not stumble over my own footing. I would just like to believe that the words written to the original audience made clear sense to them, and the interpretation we hear most popular of end times today would make none. Cheers!

2. marcusmaxis says:

I also want you guys to watch this 30 min video about the Mark of the Beast. If your going to watch though please watch the whole thing so you understand. This is very important and I hope you all watch it. Thanks

3. JessicaHof says:

marcusmaxis: where do we get the NT from? Jesus did not write it. It does not bear witness to itself. Jesus founded a Church, and that Church bears witness to the NT; that same Church bears witness to the Trinity. You are not the Church, and you cannot interpret its Book better than it can. The first authoritative list of the Canon is the 39th Festal Letter of St Athanasius, the great champion of the Trinity. To think you know better than him and better than the Church how to read its own book is to take a very great deal on yourself. You do not trust God’s Church; why should anyone trust you?

• marcusmaxis says:

Sorry my dear the NT does not teach the Trinity. The new testament stops with the 12 apostles. When they died the NT writings were finished. Your beast system that changed all the laws of God (The Cathloic Church) does not speak for God. Just my opinion

• JessicaHof says:

I am amazed at your ignorance in thinking the Catholic Church gave us the canon of the NT. Where do you think it came from? Clue – the same place as the Trinity. You do not know better than those guided by God – you are a heretic.

• marcusmaxis says:

You are being decieved on so many levels it amazes me. And your resorting to insults shows me your true character.

4. marcusmaxis says:

Gods word was made flesh but if you took or accepted the plain truth from the previous scriptures I showed you would understand that jesus’s words were not his, he said that very plainly. How can you not understand or accept what was said plainly before.
    Colossians is not translated correctly. Look at the original greek and you can see.

Colossians 1:16
    hoti en autw ektisthee ta panta en tois
    BECAUSE IN HIM IT WAS CREATED THE ALL (THINGS) IN THE
    3754 1722 0846_5 2936 3588 3956 1722 3588
    ouranois kai epi tees gees ta horata kai
    HEAVENS AND UPON THE EARTH, THE (THINGS) VISIBLE AND
    3772 2532 1909 3588 1093 3588 3707 2532
    ta aorata eite thronoi eite kurioteetes eite
    THE (THINGS) INVISIBLE, WHETHER THRONES OR LORDSHIPS OR
    3588 0517 1535 2362 1535 2963 1535
    archai eite exousiai ta panta di autou
    GOVERNMENTS OR AUTHORITIES; THE ALL (THINGS) THROUGH HIM
    0746 1535 1849 3588 3956 1223 0846_3
    kai eis auton ektistai
    AND INTO HIM IT HAS BEEN CREATED;
    2532 1519 0846_7 2936

IN Christ all things were created not by. Big difference. Through him and unto him it has been created. or in other words it was created for him because Gods son was always the purpose of his whole plan. Jesus never claims to be the creator. he said the father is greater than I.

1st Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

God is the head of Christ. Now this blows the theory of three co exhistant and equal all to oblivion doesnt it. Your way there are lies all through the bible but Jesus as the Son of the Almight God every scripture agrees and is correct. To really explain all this we would really have to sit down and discuss in person. there is just way too much to go through with blogging. I am sure I could convince you if we could though.

5. marcusmaxis says:

Clouds you have it soo backward. If Jesus is God you are doomed. You have been taught the big lie from Satan the devil himself. If you believe that Jesus is God you have no mediator. God is not a mediator between himself. The people of the old testament had the opportuity to deal directly with God and failed as we all do. Then God sent his son, born of a woman created by Gods holy spirit and God raised him to be a prince and a savior. But he was not God himself. He was the image of his father. Havent you read the scripture that three times in the new testament that no one has seen God at any time. Jesus is not God he is the Son of God, the only begotten of the father. God does not begett himself. I mean how can you even think that way. Sooooo backward. They are two and very seperate beings. If Jesus is God he is a major liar.

St. John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself,(isnt he God!!, God can do nothing? LIe Lie Lie) but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

St. John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing(again a major lie): as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

St. John 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, (Lie Lie Lie!! Isnt he the word of God? ) but his that sent me.

St. John 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine (Lie Lie Lie!! But, But your God the Almighy!!), but the Father’s which sent me.

You see instead of just accepting Jesus simply for who he is and for what the scriptures plainly call him you covet the Trinity Satan doctrine which is a doctrine of men and not of God. Jesus is the SON OF GOD he is not God. IF you would just accept what Jesus says you would have your mediator.

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

Matthew 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

Matthew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus agrees with Simon and it is the truth. Did Simon say you are God the Almighty? NOOOO because he knew he was the Son Of God not God.

Simple simple truth God is the head of Christ and all scriptures agree. You should just study this for yourself and not accept what some preacher tells you. Like the scripture says study to show yourslef approved of God. You are obviously not doing that otherwise you would see Jesus is the son of God. He who has the son of god has life he who does not have the son of god does not have life. Do you have the son of god? not if you believe the satan doctrine that says Jesus is God. NO scriptures say Jesus is god, only if you wrest them do they say that. Plainly it says he is the Son Of God.

Thanks for the detailed comments MM. Yours is an approach toward Jesus’ identity that has been argued many times throughout Church History. Rather than hash through all of this here, I ask you to check the link above from Jessica where at the site, All Along the Watchtower, both sides are open to make their cases from Scripture and the historical stance the Church has held on this doctrine. Thanks again, and I hope you’ll join the conversation at Jess’ place.

• MM I’m sorry I haven’t much time to spend here, as I’m trying to ‘catch up’ a little before leaving on a trip for a week or so where I will not have access to the ‘net. I will however, just make three small points.

1. John clearly states that Jesus is God.
      John 1:1,14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the WORD WAS GOD. And the Word was MADE FLESH and dwelt among us.

2. It was quite clear to the Jews and Pharisees that on many occasions Jesus claimed to be God Himself. They accused Him of blasphemy and tried to kill Him.

3. As recorded in Hebrews 1:8 we see God calling Jesus ‘God’.

• marcusmaxis says:

No all those claims are false. john 1:1 is just describing God. If it was describing christ it would say. In the beginning was jesus and Jesus was with God (This states that there is two gods). And Jesus was God. Jesus never says he is God the creator nor even equal with God. I dont know where your getting that one from. You are all mixed up on Hebrews.
        Tell me something if Jesus is God the almighty how did he raise himself from the dead?

• MM – verse 1 clearly tells us the Word is God and verse 14 clearly tells us that the WORD is Jesus, who became flesh and dwelt among us. Nothing could be plainer than that.

• marcusmaxis says:

Im sorry but the word did not originate with Jesus. You are mistaken again

JN 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (If Jesus is God this makes God a blantant Liar. Not so though Jesus is the Son of God)

JN 3:34 For he(Christ) whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
            JN 3:35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
            John 1:1 is talking about God it is his word that Jesus speaks. Its that simple.
            You See Jesus was given all things from his father. John 1:1 is the most misunderstood scripture in the Bible. Trinitarians wrest its meaning to fit there man made doctrine when the Trinity is the farthest thing from the truth. If it were true the whole Bible would be a lie. You should accept what the scriptures say plainly. But you wont.

• MM I would be interested to hear your explanation of verse 14 – “the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld His glory” This could ONLY refer to Jesus – the Word, as He is called in verse 1. Verse 3 tells us He created all things (as also does Colossians 1:16-17)

6. If Christ is not God, we would have no hope whatever.
    Praise God for the REALITY of our experience with the risen Christ and all He does for us and more importantly, IN us.

7. marcusmaxis says:

I think this post is correct on the nature of Christ. enjoy

8. Scott Matthews says:

It kind of Does matter if Jesus is God how often have you heard God speck to his chosen people to tell his children how they must live but do better and come down and tell them face to face so I say it does matter

9. JessicaHof says:

Mike – I have some material here http://jessicahof.wordpress.com//?s=Trinity&search=Go which your commentator is most welcome to read too 🙂

10. Rob Barkman says:

Looking forward to the study brother. Lord bless you as you share the truth with all of us.

Thanks Pastor Rob. When we mentioned others above, you immediately came to mind as one we pray will step in through this mini-series for help. As you are well aware, this is a difficult doctrine, one I shouldn’t even be trying to defend as a rookie dilettante of our faith. But here we are… looking forward to your contributions good friend.