The Insanity of God

Nik Ripken, in the prologue of his book, The Insanity of God, asks questions… well, here’s a sampling.

TIOG1. Does God, in fact, promise His children safety?

2. Do things always work out for those who are obedient?

3. Does God really ask us to sacrifice — and to sacrifice everything?

4. What happens when our best intentions and most creative ideas are not enough?

5. Is God at work in the hard places? And does He expect us to join Him in those hard places?

6. Isn’t it possible to love God and to pretty much keep living the life I already live?

7. What does it really mean for God to tell us that His ways are not our ways?

8. Would He really allow people who love Him dearly to fail? And, if so, is this a God who can use even holy failure for His purposes?

9. Would I choose to trust this God who I could not control?

10. Would I, once again, lean on this God who makes impossible demands and promises only His presence?

This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Insanity of God

1. lambskinny says:

Only one answer for me to any of these ?s – God, the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, I’m totally lost. Blessings, Michael.

Hi Carley! Many Amens! Very interesting read, your latest work good friend. Blessings to you as well!

• lambskinny says:

Oh wonderful! But I owe you a clean copy. I did some changes – the last lines are different. Send me your address privately and I will drop a signed copy in the mail – review it! Please!

2. Labeth says:

I have been asking myself some of these questions almost daily for the past two years. The struggle with “self” is a never ending one. Its not about our circumstances, but aligning our heart woth His. The longer I ask these questions the more the answer is made clear to me that He wants me to Know Him, and be satisfied with only Him. I have yet to completely understand… But I am thankful to be on the journey. This is the first time I have seen “my” questions printed out so completely by another. I would very much like to read this book.

Your words are more encouraging to me than even the book itself good friend and Sister. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me to keep ending up in books with questions like these. It is monumental for me to find that there are fellow believers journeying alongside, struggling with the same questions that must need have answers. Truly, I am thankful for your sharing. And as for the book, consider it already in your hands. It will be soon. Many, many blessings prayed your way today!

3. gospelofbarney says:

Too often we avoid just how radical a life Jesus is calling us to!

4. Powerful questions. It makes me want to read the book.

Hey Pastor J! This author, a missionary writing under a fake name for security reasons, tells an inspiring life story. That Platt forwards it tells something of its contents.

• I think I shall look it up and add it to my reading list!

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. This author’s story turns everything we treasure on its head and chunks it in a dumpster. In a day when success is measured by numbers or dollar figures, his ministry went the opposite direction, finally settling rock bottom watching his missionary effort that began with 150 believers and end six years later with only 4 of them remaining… then a life-wrecking tragedy occurs…
          Probably not fair to keep the spoiler hinting up.

5. RJ Dawson says:

Thank you for the post.

“Only His presence” is everything. Along with His presence, which is otherwise impossible to unseeing unhearing sin-compromised human beings, are Promises 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D…

Each promise has a lock that is impossible to open without a faith key, and the only way to get possession of a faith key is to have an honest and obedient heart toward God, even though we don’t know before meeting Him what “God” is. But the search goes on, and the spiritually hungry in heart are led closer to Him until the day He introduces Himself.

No one is worthy of meeting the Lord. It is the highest privilege of humanity. But we can be accounted of worthiness if our hearts are right in that we continue rejecting counterfeits until we meet Him. We then prove ourselves worthy of His promises. Abraham initially showed us how it is done. The Lord Jesus revealed perfectly in His humanity exactly how it is to be done. And anything that goes along with His will in the doing of His work is part of what we must battle through, overcome, and achieve victory over.

The Lord Jesus overcame the world (the things in the above list). We are called to do the same in the sense of not being stopped or overcome by anything toward the completion of our mission.

6. Difficult questions…but the answer is also difficult for me…for the thought that troubles my brain cells, is that the answer to each is…Jesus. The Beloved of Love, yet sacrificed…forsaken…despised…rejected. And He bids me to come follow Him.