IT’S A DANGEROUS BUSINESS GOING OUTSIDE MY DOOR

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.

2 Corinthians 10:2-3

I don’t like fighting. I prefer to live a nice quiet bucolic life. Gardening. Having tea.   Eating well and often. Giving away gifts.

LOTR2

spinoff.comicbookresources.com

More Hobbit than Dwarf.

But in this world, as in Middle Earth, if you don’t go to the fight…the fight will come to you. And it would be advantageous to find that “there is more to this Hobbit than meets the eye.”[1]

Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Ephesians 6:13

Ephesians pic 1With each new birth into spiritual new life, a warrior is born. We are thrust immediately into battle “therefore”, we must be fully armed. I do not consider myself warrior material, and it was hard for me to grasp how to transform into a fighter until I researched this section piece by piece. This armor that I must don, it is God’s own. It comes from His personal arsenal. Isaiah describes the arms in beautiful detail in Isaiah 59:17. Immediately before the description, Isaiah writes out the Lord’s motivation in verses 15 and 16. The Lord was displeased that there was no justice, and no person bringing justice, so He put on His battle garb to judicate fair treatment; by His own righteousness He cared for the weak. Paul tells us to take up this kind of fighting, and he also writes how to do it. I had to look at the Greek to see it, but in the words “you may be able” is the dynamic word “dunamai”…powered. Paul writes it in the passive voice, as something that is done to me. And there is my Aha! moment. I receive the armor AND the motivation AND the power from God. “For it is God who works (energizes) in you to will and to act (energized) in order to fulfill HIS GOOD PURPOSE” Philippians 2:13.

What does it look like to be dressed by God, in His armor, and filled with His energy?

It looks like…

Being ready with the truth. The Truth that set me free is The Truth will set others free.

Ephesians 6:14

Ephesians 6:14

Feet fitted with the proclamation of the good news of victory that brings wholeness.

A firm footing that is steadied by the gospel so that I can take a stand against Satan.

Ephesians 6:15

Faith strong enough to receive blows, and to put out the scud missile attacks of evil.

Ephesians 6:16

The assurance of salvation…past, present, and future…that protects me from head attacks.

Ephesians 6:17

swordWielding the quick and powerful two edged sword of God’s own Word. Making offensive movement against darkness by having a specific understanding of particular Scriptures.

Ephesians 6:17

This is what it looks like to take a stand.

To transform from the reluctant warrior on someone else’s quest… into a more-than-a-conqueror with an indwelling pursuit…takes an equipping work of a Victorious Lord.

Be strong in the Lord.

In the power of His might.

[1] Tolkien, J.R.R., The Hobbit or There And Back Again. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company. Print.

About ccragamuffin

Christina C. is a woman energized by encouraging others. She never wants to forget that she is a ragamuffin...a broken earthen vessel, heavy laden, bedraggled, and weary until grace changed her life. She now holds a treasure in a cracked earthen vessel. Anything bright or beautiful is the treasure shining through the cracks.
This entry was posted in Echoes of Encouragement from Ephesians and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to IT’S A DANGEROUS BUSINESS GOING OUTSIDE MY DOOR

1. kennymack2 says:

We can’t all be Saint Paul, as we Catholics brought-uppers were taught to call the Apostle Paul, neither can we all be Mother Theresas. Not even Alter Boys or Nuns. There’s only so much room/slots available. Consider this,where does “Faith” stop and practicality begin? If ‘Faith’ was as easy as talk every preacher would be a miracle healer and the scurge of the Medical profession. Untill that happens it’s all talk and WE all know it. I believe in Jesus. My calling is to make the “Clergy,Pastors,Preachers,lay people”,manifest the promises of the Bible. No excuses. I’ve heard them all.

• ccragamuffin says:

Hello KennyMack2. I have retread my blog several times to see where I may have mistakenly implied that there is some exclusive club of super faith-ers, but I am not certain what led you to your statements. I was trying to convey that there is more to our lives than meets the eye, that there is a cosmic struggle between the Kingdom of Jesus and what is not in His Kingdom. The battle is always brewing or waging, so it is wise to be prepared because ready or not…here it comes. To ignore it is to choose to be unprepared. The only lines I am concerned about are the ones Jesus makes…and it is drawn in every life…every apostle, every altar boy, every pastor…and every mother, every father, every businessman, every doctor, every farmer, every retired person, every homeless person…every one. Equally. This is not an offering of an unwanted excuse, just a lclarification of waters I must have muddied. I hope it helps put the blog in perspective. Thank you for being a part of the discussion, and for giving me an opportunity to make my thoughts little plainer.

• kennymack2 says:

Good’nuff. Hey where did you get that ‘ragamuffin’ bit from. I haven’t heard that word since I was a kid in the West Indies,where it was in common every day use referring to children.

• ccragamuffin says:

Ahhhh..then you are especially able to envision the word picture I intend..of a needy child begging at the door of God’s grace and mercy…nothing to offer…but open hands to receive. How wonderful that you have a wide cultural background on which to draw.

2. VictoriaJoDean says:

We’d do well to remember that going out and about in life will always be dangerous business, as we are either ineffective as we trust in self or powerful as we rest in Christ for every need of life.

• ccragamuffin says:

Thank you for adding the danger in trusting in self. There is a tremendous difference in going to battle on our own accord and being engaged in the battle that is waged against the Kingdom of God. We often mistake our own foolishness for spiritual battles. Your warning is well needed.

3. SandyCitro says:

“Having put on the judicial approval of God. Righteousness both in standing and state…imputed and imparted.” Amen to that…

4. jamesmatter says:

I thought it was interesting that you had the Tolkien quote, because somewhere in Lord of the Rings Frodo quotes Bilbo about the dangers of setting foot on the road– because it connects to all other roads, and you never know where you end up. And the whole thing about all the stories connecting to the other stories. Thanks for checking out my blog.

• ccragamuffin says:

“The Road goes ever on and on
      Down from the door where it began.
      Now far ahead the Road has gone,
      And I must follow, if I can,
      Pursuing it with eager feet,
      Until it joins some larger way
      Where many paths and errands meet.
      And whither then? I cannot say.”
      Both Bilbo and Frodo sing this song! I have used it many times in congratulation cards mailed to graduates. But I am reading it now with a totally different viewpoint in light of your comment “and the whole thing about all the stories connecting to the other stories.” You have touched on a favorite theme of mine, that there is only ONE story and everything is part of that ONE. Thank you for helping me to see that “one story” written about by one of my favorite authors!

5. Godshotspot says:

Thank you for following God’s Hot Spot.wordpress.com. Jesus boldly walked through,cities, market places, country side, riversides, mountain tops, temples. Every where and any where safely God led Christ to preach, teach, heal, deliver souls in the Kingdom of God. In the Garden of Eden, Our Father God created THE MOST PEACEFUL PERFECT world. Man chose to let the devil mislead to lose such perfect peace world entrusted to them. So the world became a dangerous place of untold evil. God warns it gets worse before it gets better in Christ JESUS THE PRINCE OF PEACE. The world is witnessing transitional change demanding Christian Soldiers to stand boldly to speak truth in Christ.This is not time for chocolate Christian, melting with slightest rise in temperature.Our Armour in God is Far Greater And Superior pulling down strongholds in Jesus Name.Our lives are hidden in Christ Jesus, with God equipped Full Armour of God PLUS HEAVENLY HOST ARMY ENCAMPED AROUND US, SURROUNDING US IN VICTORY IN JESUS NAME.God bless

• ccragamuffin says:

I love that you emphasized repeatedly that our strength is IN Christ. This is the key, our position! It is God’s own armour that we are equipped with, what a wonderful illustration of being IN him. Thank you for taking the time to express these truths in detail….and thank you for the blessings. Grace and Peace, cc

6. taheesays says:

This is really nice. And I do agree with you that sometimes a lot of people misunderstand the biblical warfare. This misunderstanding tends to bring in a certain degree of wariness and then submission to tides of trails.

• ccragamuffin says:

I also misunderstood spiritual warfare for a long time. It was understanding the Bible as one story, and then studying through Ephesians as a part of the one story that helped me. I t is. Ow a great source of strength and encouragement. Thank you for stopping by and for,taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

7. Jack Curtis says:

Our universe seems a place of scarcity, risk and combat designed to be so. We are designed to live in it. Those are things for which no Scripture seems necessary; they are visible if we look. So between observation and Scripture, we have at least two sources informing us of what’s going on. That ought to be enough for any thinking species, seems to me … But then, some of us choose not to look. That’s ok; we now have the Darwin awards …

• ccragamuffin says:

I have been pondering your words…”designed to live in it”…there is much to glean from that phrase. And what we lack in the design of our human nature, we have been supplied in our spiritual nature…God’s own supply, His own armor. “That ought to be enough for any thinking species”. Sigh. That may be heard from heaven.. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your insight.

0 0 Rate This

8. tknot57 says:

Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. I really liked the way you broke down Eph 6:13. Great job well done and God bless! Al http://www.trinitystudiospicsblog.com

9. lindyone770 says:

It’s never about the “I”. It’s never about going it alone or on our own power. God has been reminding me over and over these past two years that it is all about Him and His glory, power and majesty. He loves us too much to leave us to our own devices. Thank you for this reminder once again.

• ccragamuffin says:

Aaaah, yes and amen. That is one of the reasons I love To read and ponder the encouragement found in Ephesians…over and over and over we are reminded that it is our position IN CHRIST that is the key. In Christ you have what He has. May you be blessed with knowing that truth in a fresh, new, impacting way today!

10. Hello mtsweat, thank you for following my blog and I look forward to following yours. With best wishes, Phil Stanfield

11. Like your insightful post on spiritual warfare – very helpful

• ccragamuffin says:

Thank you for taking the time to let me know that this offering blessed you. May you be strengthened by knowing it is God’s own armoiur that is prepared for you, your equipping is sufficient in Him. Blessings.

12. Paul H. Lemmen says:

Reblogged this on Dead Citizen's Rights Society.

13. godsbooklover says:

Reblogged this on Two Heads are Better Than One and commented:
    Finding myself too fatigued for original thought this evening…but I came across this post, which combines references to one of my favorite authors (J.R.R. Tolkein) with one of my favorite Scripture passages (the whole armor of God in Ephesians 6). A blessed Sunday to you all, and thanks to Resting in His Grace.

14. gospelofbarney says:

It is dangerous staying inside your door! I went to combat twice – not a nick or cut to speak of! I had my stroke at home in bed – and most accidents occur at home. I need that armor here too!

• ccragamuffin says:

Amen, amen and a loud, laughing, hearty OH YES!!!! Your comment makes my heart and soul smile along with my face! We too often think that the battle wages “out there”..,when the battle lines are drawn wherever The Lord has placed our feet. Thank you so much for this insightful response.

15. A very good message Mike, Jesus is indeed our Armour, He is The Living Word as we see in the Scriptures He is quicker and more powerful than a two edged sword, the Pharisees were diligently reading the written word but denying The Living Word Jesus, He was not in their hearts so they could not understand God’s written words.

Hebrews 4:12-13 For the Word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit and of the joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. (KJV )

Faith is all about Love and Love is an action.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

Hello Anne,
      This is Christina, the writer of It’s A Dangerous Business Going Outside My Door. I am a guest blogger on this site. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for adding the beautiful imagery of Jesus as our living and eternal armor. Your words have blessed.

• Hi Christina, sorry, I remember now I got you mixed up with Mike a few years ago too, I forget that Mike has guest Bloggers, perhaps I need to be one but than my comments at times have enough detail to be a message.

To consider ourselves warrior material, or a fit vessel, we must put our sinful flesh to death (see below) I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts Christina about this very important Truth.

2 Timothy 2:19-21 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His. And, let every one that nameth the Name of Christ depart from iniquity. But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man/woman therefore purge himself/herself from these, he/she shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the Master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.

Romans 8 :12-15 Therefore, brothers/sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. or if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons/daughters of God.

Blessings in Christ Jesus – Anne

16. mtsweat says:

Since able is the adversary, I am overly grateful for the Spirit’s breathing these words Paul’s way… and yours. The new creature’s struggle is against a foe more wily than to come with an expected wagering, He attacks where an advantage remains, hence, a complete armor is available for every follower of Jesus; let’s put the attire on and wage war. Love your thoughts today!

• ccragamuffin says:

“The new creature’s struggle is against a foe more wily than to come with an expected wagering”…this thought you express would be terrifyingly paralyzing if we were on our own. Courage comes as we dress in our Victor’s own gear. Wa-Hooooooo! ( I think that is a battle cry!!). Thank you for the affirming words of a fellow soldier.