Blue Parakeets Without Chapters and Verses

Blue ParakeetIt seems that one of the perks of being willing to read outside the normal comfort zone is not in hopes of rebelling against traditional thoughts that have done me well for better than half a century, but in uncovering areas where I’ve allowed tradition to become habitually accepted, where maybe it ought not.

I have uncovered such a nugget; a treasure hidden in a field; a pearl of great price. Hopefully you’ll not think I’ve lost my mind here, but I’ve begun reading a Bible that doesn’t look like any Bible I’ve ever read before.

Put your pitchforks down please.

The Bible I’m reading now looks different because it doesn’t have any chapter numbers and verses. Each book simply reads through like the complete story it was meant to be when penned.

No, I’ll not be disposing of my chaptered and versed editions… it would be very difficult to follow my Pastor on Sundays, but it is very eye opening how differently the Bible reads (sorry if that sounds a little heretical… I don’t know how else to say it) without all those numbers and added texts of note. Maybe you’d be willing to try (or already are) this and lend some input.

This entry was posted in Blue Parakeet and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Blue Parakeets Without Chapters and Verses

1. lambskinny says:

My question – why is this bible called THE BLUE PARAKEET? Just curious. – thanks, Carley

Now that is a very good question Carley. 🙂 I cannot help but wonder how many others thought the same question. The Blue Parakeet is a book I’ve read and am re-reading that prompted me to attain a Bible in the format with no chapters and verses. Scot McKnight, the author of TBP, challenges his readers to consider how they are reading the Bible, taking a chunk here and a chunk there but never reading it as it was meant to be read, as a complete story. Challenging book and I am also enjoying reading the Bible differently, although as I’ve said, I habitually want to pick up a version with verses to find out where I am… creatures of habit. Thanks for the excellent question!

2. I found a similar thing many years ago listening to a dramatised set of audio CDs of the Bible. It was a continuing story.

That’s a good thought Angela. I have a set of those in my vehicle, although the speaker does acknowledge chapters while reading. Blessings.

3. "light and salt" says:

Yep, God put the words into the bible, man just added chapters and verses for quicker reference. By now, it would seem so unusual to read scripture without “chapter and verse!”

Steve Pejay

Indeed. Last night in reading, I could stand it no longer… had to pick up a versed Bible and find where I was. 🙂

• "light and salt" says:

That was the idea…help us locate important scriptures. God’s meanings and thoughts are so much better when we can “flip over” to them instantly!

Thanks for your support here, I really appreciate it! Enjoy your day today…

Steve 🙂

4. Ben Nelson says:

I love this idea. So much that we get wrong is because we read by the verse rather than by the letter or book.

5. Rob Barkman says:

Hi Mt,

I have done the same at different times during my ministry. I have found that it helps so much in keeping everything in their proper context. I always have a tendency to think of each chapter as the beginning of a new thought, when really in most cases, the chapters were meant to flow together.

The biggest hindrance of this type of Bible is two-fold for me. First of all, I have a very hard time keeping track of where I leave off my reading and also it is impossible to direct others to specific Scripture when teaching or counseling. In my way of thinking, the different Bible formats each have their own purpose and use.

Lord bless!

Ah… totally agree Pastor Rob. I wouldn’t dream of trying to carry this format into church and follow along. 🙂 Also, just as you said, after reading in Ezekiel for an hour or so, I felt the urge to go to the normal format and find out where I was. We owe a great deal to those who chose to give us chapters and verses, but as you say, reading in this format removes the temptation to think the story ends at the conclusion of a chapter. Thanks and blessings!

6. Ben Nelson says:

I have long said one of the biggest hinderances for us understanding what the Bible is really saying is that we read it verse by verse. Sounds wonderful!

Hi Ben. Not really sure why but your comment went to the spam file… guess I need to check that thing more often. Thanks for great thought Brother! Blessings.

• Ben Nelson says:

I was just checking into that – apparently I got flagged as a spammer recently – and as of now, I can only be unflagged on an individual basis – thanks Mike.

7. Jim says:

That is a great idea! Where can you find one of these?

Hi Jim. What I’m reading from is “The Books of the Bible” by Zondervan, but I seen several available when searching. I don’t think I ever realized the distractions of the numbers to reading the Bible as a complete story until reading last night. Ezekiel by the way, and I have no idea where I ended up after a couple hours of reading. Imagine what it must have been like for those studying Scripture before the luxury of the dividing markings. Thanks for the input.