Praying Those People Out Of My Life… or not

Picture 147Take it away Lord,” or even, “Take him away Lord,” is a probable response to those who resident our lives, those contentious ones who make living uncomfortable. We wonder why this person must occupy a space we’d prefer be vacant.

From Psalter it is evident Israel’s David contended with similar struggles, and yet, God chose to leave Saul in his life for more than a decade after making it known the shepherd boy was His man.

A favorite tweeting buddy of mine (well, actually he doesn’t even know I exist save for brief interaction occasion ago) spoke recently of an answer to this leaving people like Saul in our lives. Why was Saul left in David’s life for so long?

My self-decreed friend (who doesn’t know I exist) shares,

“Saul was left in David’s life to ensure his God got rid of all the Saul from out of David’s life.”

That my friends, is deep, so if it didn’t sink the first read, glance again. Of course, there is the question though of which side of this equation I occupy; Saul or David? Hmmm… could there be a little lot of both in all of us?

This entry was posted in Christians at Work and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Praying Those People Out Of My Life… or not

1. Kristi says:

I’m a newlywed of almost 4 months. My husband and I are very opposites. We believe The Lord placed us in each other’s lives to roughen the edges and refine each other. That though Christ we can be a united One. I love that quote about David and Saul and can’t wait to share it with my dear husband.

That is a fantastic testimony… and prayers for your young marriage, that both of you will be blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavens in Christ Jesus. Thanks!

2. ccragamuffin says:

Isn’t it interesting that the slinter and the beam in Matthew 7:3 are both of the same material? And how hard it is dor me to realize that Jesus was saying I have a larger portion than my contentious friend. But I have had “rough” people be as holy sandpaper to my soul…painful…but shape changing…and for that I give thanks.

That is so true. Getting beyond the painful realisation of our “beams” brings a freedom to let God put the chainsaw to work, and without the hindering beam, who knows, there may just be the possibility of rightly removing a splinter or two. Good word.

3. That was deep. I believe that this is a comforting thought that I’m going to latch onto and run with. Thanks for sharing that tweet from your twitter buddy.

I love it that you join me in insisting Mr. Brunson acknowledge our friendship! 🙂 In serious thought though, I was moved this week to also “latch and run” with my twitter buddy’s thoughts, not so much on my account, but an endeavor my wife experienced, which of course is one and the same since we are one. Easily recognizing a contentious personality she was having to endure (and she did masterfully by the way), it ocurred to me that what she was having to deal with is much the same as I treat certain selected people. The pain I felt for her made me note “you know, those I treat this way feel the same way.” Yes, there’s a ton more Saul needing shucked from this soul. Encouraging others, as you awesomely do with your writing, will be the tool of victory, not “spear chunking” as Saul became famous for. Thanks and blessings good friend.

• I was able to use your tweet-buddy’s wisdom when encouraging a friend this weekend. 🙂

That is too cool! I think my TB would indeed be pleased to know this… of course, that’s if he really knew me, and really knew he was being quoted. 🙂 Thanks and many blessings to you!