Blue Parakeets, Heretics, and Elephants who will not Leave the Room

Blue ParakeetThe traffic slows. The common crowd thins. Many of the visitors who do stop by steer clear of the like button, and certainly will refrain from commenting. It’s another parakeet post and the inference of their content goes against the grain of, well, I’m not sure what it goes against the grain of… Am I a heretic because I write about the traditional allowance of suggested gender devaluation?

If orthodoxy can be defined as right teaching, then surely it is profitable to want to have, know, and live with that right teaching, even if it stands against what is popular, or what is commonly taught.

Arianism, long ago, attracted a great following, so much so, that the divine-Jesus crowd would hold the minority status at one time, and yet these lesser refused to relinquish their quest for truth, to show the insistence of Scripture regarding the deity of the Christ.

This is not a challenge of that magnitude, but I think it is still important to discuss, for in the balance here lies the body’s ability to minister if in fact we restrain those gifted, with gender prejudices against God’s will.

The irritant stance of turning a blind eye suggests that the traditional roles of each gender is accepted by all and that there is no friction, but that just isn’t so. Take for example, a certain hero of modern evangelicalism has a daughter who makes some very moving points on this topic, Anne Graham Lotz’ article, “Women Like Me Are Abused Worldwide. Here’s Why.”

To shrug this conversation off as though it has no merit will only continue the festering of an age-old wound. Maybe, just maybe, there is something of value being shouted from the other side of the room.

So I make no apology for my leaving the blue parakeet freely flying from the confines of its cage… to soar about here on occasion.

Agreements and disagreements both are welcome, like or no like. I only wish that people will quit pretending that the elephant is not standing in the room.

This entry was posted in Blue Parakeet and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Blue Parakeets, Heretics, and Elephants who will not Leave the Room

1. RJ Dawson says:

Thanks Mike. Quite courageous of you sir.

As one who seems to always find himself embroiled in one controversy or another in simply pointing out NT truth, it must be said the NT very clearly states there is neither male nor female but we are all one in the Lord. And I think real Christian maturity always demands we take it on the chin at intervals regardless of gender or cause. And I also think, despite very clear challenges on the female AND male side of things, and without devaluing some really bad stuff, the worst stuff is pure Christian persecution regardless of gender which puts gender issues in stark perspective by way of comparison. In other words, the enemies of the cross hate real Christians the same, regardless of gender or skin color or national origin or economic condition.

“For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.” [Galatians 3:26-29]

Hey RJ, nothing gender related, but it is good to hear another brother speak forth, and positively makes it all the better. Your quoted verse makes its way into a near future post, after dispensing with some house duties. No telling where this series goes, but it is a great encouragement to hear your words here good friend!

2. memoirsofkeisha says:

So happy that you took the stance to write about it! Keep going against the grain of what is popular, there’s an audience out here who loves it!

3. ccragamuffin says:

I have listened to, followed and supported Billy Graham for years. I own many of his books, have volunteered at his crusades, and one of my children worked for BGEA. But one of the most impactful things I have heard him say, was during an interview when he said that his daughter, Anne, was the best preacher in the family. The holy boldness of Dr. Graham changes hearts in many ways!

I sincerely appreciate your willingness to chirp. Having been on the receiving end of multiple comments from leadership figures that it was “too bad” that I was a woman, I know that Biblical discussion of this issue is needed. And, paradoxically, we need the men to lead it, because too often when a woman “chirps” it is considered self-serving or prideful. Peter encouraged the men during the early church formation to show that women are honorable…to take up their cause because that culture devalued women as”lacking necessary resources”. He said to value them as joint-heirs of grace. Joint-Heirs. (1Pet 3:7). Brothers, we need you.

There are some excellent resources available now to cause one to think again about traditional thought. In an upcoming article (already in work), I hope to build a valid case for some of those difficult passages seen through egalitarian thought, those I’m coming to believe may say something much different than has been my past understanding…

It is of course a trail less traveled, and therefore one with many briars and high growth to traverse. I pray my words will be written only in love – – for our joint-heirs of grace, and for those who oppose.

4. “Maybe, just maybe, there is something of value being shouted from the other side of the room.” I believe in the benefits of approaching study in this way. Some of my best studies have profited from intentional listening. No apologies necessary–I would like your blue parakeet posts twice for validation–if that were possible.

Now there’s a suggestion for WordPress. 🙂 You make an excellent point good friend in that true study that only hears traditional thoughts isn’t so much study as it rarely works the brain or heart to merely recite the recited. Thanks a whole bunch for the encouraging words.