An Angry Man

An obstacle, maybe primary, is voiced well by a previous reader of this series, “Is God ever offended? Does God ever get angry over these offenses?”

Made in His image, this comment is of course meant to suggest we ought have the privilege of being offended by the wrong actions of others just as our Maker. Shouldn’t I be allowed anger as an emotion when someone offends me?

First, let me clear the air. Permitted or not, I do. I am offended and become angry too often. Many probably never know  this, as I hide things well, but it is true none the less. I am easily offended. I’ve most likely been angry at you without your knowledge… how’s that?

This is why I have chosen to read this book by this author. While I contend just as my previous commenting friend that it just seems naturally okay to be upset with others when they offend, I want to know the truth. I do not one day want to face Jesus with an excuse, “Well, it seemed right to me.” That appears awful close to ‘doing what was right in their own eyes.’

I’ve promised to keep these entries brief, so I will halt it here. Before diving into the contents though, what are your thoughts on our right to be offended when others do things to make us angry?

This entry was posted in Unoffendable and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to An Angry Man

1. jamesbradfordpate says:

I’m kind of like you, when you say: “Permitted or not, I do.”

I’m inclined to respond, “misery loves company, so thanks,” but I do hope both of us have the desire to be better than that. Thanks for the visit and your honesty. Of curiosity, do you see a time when we should be permitted to be angry with another?

2. I believe we should be offended by the right things, the things that matter. Righteous anger is a real thing.

Thank you for your input good friend. For clarity, how do you describe righteous anger? What I mean is, “What anger is righteous?” I really long to hear how we come to define this. Thanks again good friend.

• Anger against sin is never unrighteous, I would think. Anger against people would be a problem.

Thanks for the return & clarification Brandon. The distinction of where anger is focused makes for an interesting consideration. As I continue working through this book I will keep your words in mind… as I’m sure the author will address this. Thanks again friend.

3. literarylew says:

Good to cross paths with you again! Inspite of how it must seem, in my humble estimation, you and I are on the same team! Bless you and yours.

4. ccragamuffin says:

What? You’ve been angry with me? I was so offended by this thought. Oh…Touche’.
    There is a suggestion that to be made in God’s image means we have the right to be angry. And yet God’s example, His Image, is that He gave up His rights…gave up His place in line…to reach out to those who had offended Him.
    This is how a man who was misunderstood, maligned, abused, beaten, jailed multiple times, beaten and left for dead reacted to offense: he wrote, “Stop being mean, bad-tempered, and angry. Quarreling, harsh words, and dislike of others should have no place in your lives. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God has forgiven you because you belong to Christ.”
    What is God’s image of reacting to offense? Forgiveness. He forgave me before I was even sorry…He forgave me without keeping a record…He forgave me without holding back even a little portion of a grudge to nurse along. That is the image…the nature (that what should be natural)…that I am called to conform to. I am interested in hearing what the author of the book has to say, and look forward to you sharing.

Never!! Of all the people I know I can’t imagine ever getting angry with anyone in the Carter Clan! Well, except that in one tiny post you’ve just written the entire author’s book… should have known you could do that! Laughing here, seriously I am. Reality is though as much as we know the right things to say, doing and feeling them is entirely another story. So, I continue reading and will add here as I am moved to consider how often I become offended by the actions of others when as you have perfectly stated, I have have offended my Heavenly Father beyond measure, but rather than expressing His anger toward me, He bore all of that anger personally on my behalf. Oh we have such a GOOD FATHER! In closing, dear friend, I am truly sorry for your recent loss but am thrilled to see the reports that justice will be served. Your friend, by your and other’s testimony was obviously an amazing gift from God.

5. Christina Carter says:

I had to laugh that I was hurt that you have probably been mad at me. Touche’ on making your point!! A man who was misunderstood, mocked, beaten, stoned, thrown in jail multiple times and even left for dead like a pile of trash said, “stop being mean, bad-tempered, and angry. Quarreling, harsh words, and dislike of others should have no place in your lives. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God has forgiven you because you belong to Christ.” What most catches my heart and makes my spirit lean are those words JUST AS GOD HAS FORGIVEN YOU. The phrase “made in His image” is used to question if we have the right to be offended as if that is conforming to His image. And yet the Lord gave up His rights…He gave up His place in line. And Paul points to a better image to conform to. Forgiveness. If I am called to forgive like Him…in His image…perhaps I should meditate on just HOW He forgave me. Forgave before I was repentant…forgave completely, without holding back a little grudge to nurse…forgave without keeping record. With that as a standard, I don’t have time to be offended 🙂